uk issue poncho cam net

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
potentially getting boreing now but :eek:

could you describe in fairly good detail:

the net is it natrual/nylon

is the hessian natrual or manmade

is it thick or /thin

cheers.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
RAPPLEBY2000,

I'll get SWMBO to put a picture up tomorrow, but as far as i can remember the net is constructed from nylon green army string, the cam isn't hessian it's a green material, which is silk like so is fairly thin and light.

Brian

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Ok here goes

camnet1.jpg

camnet2.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
excellent thanks for that!

i think i have seen them before, but a long time ago!

how is the fabric attatched to the net? it looks tied on.

i know some nets use metal staples, and some use plastic loc ties but i can't see either.

also it (obviously) looks really very green, does it work well all year round or do you have to "add" foliage in the time honered basha fashion?

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
The cam is tied on with green army string, the plastic ties and metal staples are used on the more modern vehicle nets, as you say mate, these are not a new item they have been around for a while. As you say it is very green and with all types of cam patterns none will work perfectly everywhere, but it is designed for UK/European use when there is a lot of green vegitation, so if used other than in that environment you will need to add a lot of local foliage, it's pretty good this time of year if you need that sort of thing ;)
Hope that helps mate :)

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers all understood!

i shall go about making my own to the same specifications!

thanks for all the info! :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ok,
thanks to Brian i now have my own camo net! :You_Rock_

the net itself is made of natrual colour sisal which i have since dyed, with tea/coffee(on plant dye thread)

i have the camo green side up (for summer simlar to the net we've talked about), it's only tied on so reletively easy to turn the parts to the brown side.
ee5199ee.jpg

here it is as i origionally intended as a cover for my Mod issue Basha!
ee5199bb.jpg

with the basha partly showing through mostly brown colour it's ideal as a background for the net as it gives a further tint!
cheers for all the advice!
large nets are a pain to make but the end result is worth it!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
We were taught, as a guide, to make the cam about 70% green and 30% brown, then in winter/autumn just use the net upside down. As well as changing the colour, the net going over the top of the scrim makes it a little less leafy looking, like the trees are at that time of year.
Mixing the colours breaks up the shape a lot better, think of tigers, zebra's etc.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i sort of tried to break up the pattern you'll notice a sort of darker stripe going across the net.

would you agreethere is a sort of 70/30 split light and dark green?

i have to field test it first, but i agree i probably do need some brown! ;)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
sounds like personal cam net - we used em as is like a ghillie cloth. have you thought of using a hessian sheet slashed and sprayed/dyed, a lightweight US one or taking a spray can to a normal poncho.

the us ones arent waterproof but make a good quiet instant cam net.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE