Uk hammocks?!

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Will be honest I was a little concerned about the fabric when I got it but I field tested it yesterday at 3•c and i was sweating all night! Awesome bit f kit and has brought my pack weight down and size tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I got a woodsman X and a 3/4 length uq, which I asked Mat to increase the length on, it's now more of 7/8 length. Excellent service really top guy and kit, used mine this weekend, temps down to 2 deg, stayed warm, even had to take layers off. Only issue I've noticed, and this is not related to Mat or gear quality, is uq suspension really benefits from the tri plates or mini crabs to increase the lift and prevent air gaps. Once dialled though, excellent nights sleep.

Yes ive noticed this. I think his UQs would benefit greatly from a differential cut. You have to crank them really tight to get the quilt close to the hammock. Its a lot of cash for a straight cut quilt. Luckily the filling is over gunned so it makes up for the sub optimal fit.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I've had great difficulty trying to get the uq to fit snugly with little ago to my hammock. It's more or less there now after a lot of time trying to get the shock cord to adjust to the correct tension.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I ditched the various cords in mine and ran a single length of 3mm shockcord along the long side channels, forming a loop at each end which then just hooks over my Blackbird. I've managed to get it dialled in perfectly for my BB so the only thing I touch now is the short side cords for venting.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I ditched the various cords in mine and ran a single length of 3mm shockcord along the long side channels, forming a loop at each end which then just hooks over my Blackbird. I've managed to get it dialled in perfectly for my BB so the only thing I touch now is the short side cords for venting.

Yea i should have re rigged the cords in mine and dialed it in better but ive got the incubator now and its a different league. The step under the backside is genius. Still, the UK hammocks over the HG should take me as low as i want to go.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yea i should have re rigged the cords in mine and dialed it in better but ive got the incubator now and its a different league. The step under the backside is genius. Still, the UK hammocks over the HG should take me as low as i want to go.

I'm taking my 20* Incubator to the 'Gorms next week, hoping to give it a good test but it's still looking very mild on the forecast.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Mines set in a similar way, but I use a prussicked crab on the structural ridge to add lift to the quilt otherwise the sag was too much.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mines set in a similar way, but I use a prussicked crab on the structural ridge to add lift to the quilt otherwise the sag was too much.

I think they would also benefit from some chunkier bungee in them. mine has 3mm in it which is well under gunned for a heavy quilt rated to -15. In proper cold 3mm will loose its elasticity almost completely. Think ive convinced myself to mod it :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I've not really suffered much sag with mine, which is surprising because it's well over stuffed and I was expecting some. Once I changed to the heavier shockcord it just seemed to work fine, I might have got lucky though. With the original lighter cord system there seemed to be too much stretch and all the weight pulled down and towards the centre, with thicker cord running the whole length the sides of the quilt are held up much better and more evenly I think. In my piccy further up the thread it actually looks quite flat, and that's with the hammock empty. When I get in and feel between the layers it's snugged up nicely but not being compressed.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
It definitely needs thicker shock cord. I need a fairly high tarp and ridge line because of my height and it's already stressed on the first outing so it really needs some heavier duty cord.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I think they would also benefit from some chunkier bungee in them. mine has 3mm in it which is well under gunned for a heavy quilt rated to -15. In proper cold 3mm will loose its elasticity almost completely. Think ive convinced myself to mod it :)
Now that's a good idea! I think I'll get some thicker, say 6mm shock cord and try that. Your right Rich your UQ does look far flatter than mine does when suspended. Because I got my 3/4 length increased in length, I also use it as top quilt when ground dwelling or in freezing YHA's! I do like versatility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE