Ugly stick fishing rods

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
anyone got experience of these rods. ?

I've found a new 10 ft light weight one, with the solid end section for a very reasonable price.

any thoughts on them, they have some good write ups but anyone used one ?

Cheers

Robbi

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I have one that I used once and to say the least it was fantastic we were pike fishing and what can I say, quite simply brilliant.

Wont be using mine again if you are interested, send me a PM

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Yeah I've caught very large double figure pike on mine and the next week taking off rainbows no problem.
The test curve isn't the greatest like a carp rod would give you but I've never managed to snap mine.. yet...
I think it will serve you well that one!... :fishing:

Simon

fast but dim

On a new journey
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i was on holiday in florida last april, i was talking to a notts ex pat who was fishing off a pier when he snagged something on the bottom, and reeled in an ugly stick (7ft) and $120 penn reel, line lure hook etc somone had lost.

He gave it to me, and i've been using it since. nice rod, great action.
caught loads off the beacc in florida, but used it for 20+ hrs off a sot kayak in wles to no avail. still a very nice rod to use.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
anyone got experience of these rods. ?

I've found a new 10 ft light weight one, with the solid end section for a very reasonable price.

any thoughts on them, they have some good write ups but anyone used one ?

Cheers

Robbi

Tough as nails, but heavy and not very sensitive. Different horses for different courses though as they make great trolling rods, and that's what I use mine for. Also because of the toughness I never fear using a heavier lure then the rating. I keep a couple for friends or their kids to use when camping, especially if they are newbies ( they can't break them by accident and feel bad! ).
IF sensitivity is needed( say for jigging or slip-bobber applications ) go for a IM6 graphite at minimum , though 7-9 is better.
Tossing live bait with a heavy sinker is another ideal method for the "Ugly sticks".
My 2 cents hope it helps.
PS. Using a non-stretch fishing line and then keeping it line Hooked on your finger, rather then just holding the rod and watching the tip, will give you good " feel" even with the ugly stick. I like to feel them breath on the bait when using a light jig ; )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE