UCO Bees Wax candles

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just trying to justify the £8 + price tag to my self for 3 UCO bees wax candals, so apart from waxing bow strings and repairing the mouthpiece on my buddies didgeridoo, and candals obviously, can anyone suggest other applications and uses for natural bees wax to help justify chucking one in the pack and bringing some bees wax along on a trip?
It's also edible apparently if I remember correctly but I don't fancy it that much myself.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Used as a finish on wooden objects like bowls - it polishes up beautifully.
In liquid form it is used to seal leather tankards and similar objects

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes a brilliant polish, soap, lip balm base, cosmetic base....I could go on!

I wouldn't buy it as a source of beeswax though - a spendy way to buy it - get some from a beekeeper.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers Guys
I did have a block of natural beeswax in my archery kit but I gave it to my pal to fix his didgeridoo, I have a UCO lamp so it would have to be in the form of a candle, I normally carry some spare candles but one beeswax candle I could save till last and also use it for any of the jobs mentioned above.

Hang on a minute !
, cosmetic base....
Are you trying to say I'm a big girl blouse Red;), well there's no foundation on this dish.

One more question please, My pal left his axe up at the farm and it was out in the rain for a bit and the handle got a bit moldy and he had to sand it back a bit, the wood now looks very clean but also very dry looking would beeswax work on the handle OK?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would oil the handle with something like linseed oil. Put down a layer of cling film, then a layer of kitchen roll, soak the kitchen roll in oil and wrap around the handle, then wrap the cling film around it. Leave for a few days to soak in and swell the wood fibres. Once that has happened give a light sand to remove any "lifted" fibres and finish with beeswax if you want a smooth finish. Oil gives a deeper protection, wax a smoother finish.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok this is a bit off topic but has anyone used that sugru stuff to make a candle mould using a UCO candle as a pattern so you ain't stuck buying the official ones?. A bees wax one would cost pennies to make.

ATB

Tom

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just found this one in a archieological record in the past it has been used as a filling for teeth, Birch tar has also been found with tooth marks,
You can also rub it on slack bolt threads to stop any rattles or buzzing sounds and help prevent loss.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
My uco candle and the bees wax candles arrived on Saturday. Yup, they're expensive, but they do smell nice. Release positive ions (apparently) so they're good for ya too ;)

I use beeswax for the shaft of my axe - keeps it grippy in the wet.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ok this is a bit off topic but has anyone used that sugru stuff to make a candle mould using a UCO candle as a pattern so you ain't stuck buying the official ones?. A bees wax one would cost pennies to make.

ATB

Tom

That sounds expensive, Sugru is not cheap. It's a good idea though, but there must be other mediums to make the mould.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE