Type I, II and III fun... what's your poison?

So we have 3 types of fun...

Type I fun: Enjoyable while doing. Think 5.8 hand crack and super mellow enjoyable climbing, sunny class II-III kayaking, gentle summer hammock session

Type II fun: Enjoyable only afterwards. Those long alpine days where you move for 16 hours usually turn into type II fun by the end of it. Ice climbing up a waterfall that is actively running is another type II fun activity. Tarp camping in pouring rain...

Type III fun: Never thought back on as enjoyable. Think bivying on a ledge with just your t-shirt in 30 degrees with 70 mph winds. That sort of fun.

So Bushcraft UK - I ask of you...What are your top Type II (or Type III if you want to share) types of adventures. Extra points for those of you who supply video/photos of said adventure.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Points, levels and requirements for proof.

Three things that have nothing whatsoever to do with things that I enjoy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As someone wise once said, if you are uncomfortable, you are doing it wrong.

I've done my fair share of exhilarating stuff - parachuting, speed boats, off roading. But I'm not stupid enough to do things that I don't find enjoyable in my leisure time - that seems a little foolish to me - or attention seeking.

As someone wise once said, if you are uncomfortable, you are doing it wrong.

I've done my fair share of exhilarating stuff - parachuting, speed boats, off roading. But I'm not stupid enough to do things that I don't find enjoyable in my leisure time - that seems a little foolish to me - or attention seeking.

And none of that was ever epic/"character building" while it was happening?

No sudden downpours?
No cold/wet nights out?
No unexpectedly long days?
No hardcore training runs?
No sufferfests of any sort?
No moments of dumbass/badass-ness?
No heavy weather in an open boat?
No stoicism required, ever?
Nothing "character building" at all?
Ever?

I can hardly believe it... A man of your experience?

Come ooonnn... you are too humble.

There's gotta be something "stout" behind all that delicately balanced decorum....

Hell - If you like sailing a Wayfarer there's a load of Type II potential right there. Hahaha....

(Of course the Idea is always intended to achieve mainly type I fun....then reality/weather/actual vs perceived fitness of companions/gear failures/poor map design... gets in the way...)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Iif I found myself ever tempted to use the word "gnarly" let alone be gnarly it would be time to take a service revolver and do the decent thing, the heavens witness I was never that pretentious

Iif I found myself ever tempted to use the word "gnarly" let alone be gnarly it would be time to take a service revolver and do the decent thing, the heavens witness I was never that pretentious

Very well... since we are British let's call it... "Challenging" or "Character building".... I have just edited the post for reading comfort....and dignity... *grin*

I knew there was something in there....

(funky...but not gnarly, eh?... hehehe: post1349960)

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I can think of a few incidents I've been involved in that are best classified as type 2 fun, one involve a camo bivvi bag, kinder scout and mountain rescue... another being trapped upside down in a canoe in water that was 2-3ft deep... falling in far to many of the deep water bits of OFD's main streamway... my solstice microadventure in the rain... or that time I took an arrow to the lower leg...

But I think all of them pretty much work a lot better told over a beer, rather than on the forum. Perhaps when we meet in person...

Oh and for those of you who are being adverse to classifying your fun... perhaps the question is best asked as: what is the best adventure story you like to tell in the pub, but at the time perhaps were thinking "oops" ?

J

I can think of a few incidents I've been involved in that are best classified as type 2 fun, one involve a camo bivvi bag, kinder scout and mountain rescue... another being trapped upside down in a canoe in water that was 2-3ft deep... falling in far to many of the deep water bits of OFD's main streamway... my solstice microadventure in the rain... or that time I took an arrow to the lower leg...

But I think all of them pretty much work a lot better told over a beer, rather than on the forum. Perhaps when we meet in person...

Oh and for those of you who are being adverse to classifying your fun... perhaps the question is best asked as: what is the best adventure story you like to tell in the pub, but at the time perhaps were thinking "oops" ?

J

An arrow to the leg? Kinderscout MR...and a cammo bivvy? Hahaaa brilliant.

Haha, oh man I am buying the beer.

Hahaa too many type IIs to go into, but one could allude to a certain VDiff climb on Tryfan, or various bits of heavy weather in small boats, but I'll give you a type III to snicker over.

The river Ewe at Poolewe. Nice bumpy looking rapid under the bridge. Spent ages looking at it from the bridge. All good.

Got loaded up with PFD and even my helmet but felt kinda silly because it was sooo eaasy.

Drove up the road a little ways and put it. Paddling down towards the horizon line it struck me that the rapid was a lot louder than it had been from the bridge. And come to think of it. The entry waves were for sure bigger.

It was then that I realised that of course the river was tidal. And now it was ebb.

Aiiieeeee.

The nice bouncy rapid had become a bone crunching slot drop. Realised my approach had been too leisurely to boof and did NOT want to get pinned so I ejected. Got recirculated once ot twice and fair beaten up in the rock slot. (Glad of my helmet and wetsuit. Wetsuit was trashed. Haematoma on my thigh that I later treated with ultrasound like a rugby player. (We have an ultrasound device at home for just this purpose. Go figure)

The story of how a local seal brought me back my paddle that had been washed out to sea is for another day. As is the story about the slow motion labrador in a beige mercedes estate car lolling by.

Haha.

River Ewe - sometimes benign

10173608_10202686403635333_1404420609_n.jpg

Sometimes not so benign

1002659_10202686403795337_1763814816_n.jpg

Sometimes a fun bumpy ride

1546185_10202686405275374_381246474_n.jpg

Sometimes a boneyard

1982262_10202686406155396_529598879_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm a type one person- but a fair share of type two happen

- like the time we hiked though a gap unbetween two peaks in the Lake District mountains- 80mph winds and driving rain - we felt like paper bags in a thunderstorm - but we had a good laugh afterwards!

And when we were in a small two man tent- never use that type shelter nowadays- but we both sat bolt upright in the middle of the night to the sound of roaring outside our tent, it was so loud I thought there was a beast outside! Then we had the stamping of feet and a clacking noise- it later appeared that there were two stags rutting outside out tent! That was scary at the time- but boy oh boy we had a laugh when it was all over! :)

I'm a type one person- but a fair share of type two happen

- like the time we hiked though a gap unbetween two peaks in the Lake District mountains- 80mph winds and driving rain - we felt like paper bags in a thunderstorm - but we had a good laugh afterwards!

And when we were in a small two man tent- never use that type shelter nowadays- but we both sat bolt upright in the middle of the night to the sound of roaring outside our tent, it was so loud I thought there was a beast outside! Then we had the stamping of feet and a clacking noise- it later appeared that there were two stags rutting outside out tent! That was scary at the time- but boy oh boy we had a laugh when it was all over! :)

Hahaa. Brilliant. The stags are a killer story. Teehee.

Yeah those storms in the lakes. Yipe. I've been in trouble up there before. (Fell running). In fact it was that incident that got me started csrrying the SACKit.

Here's another type IIer from this winter. Back country nordic skiing.

Was NOT expecting the 1200 meter top out. Made my bed in a bush on the summit. Haha.

[video=youtube_share;_XWTMBI5SpQ]http://youtu.be/_XWTMBI5SpQ[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE