Two small meths stoves

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thought I would try out a couple of stove ideas, the first is based on a MBD wick stove which I have not tried before. I used an old Ali' torch switch module as the body and stuck in a bit of Aluminium to close off the base end. Then rolled up some carbon felt and stuck it down the hole and added a donut ring on the outside. A micro nipple made it into a remote feed unit.

007-3.jpg

001-20.jpg

This stove weighs in at 16 grams/0.5 oz. Boils 500ml of room temp water in 7.5 minutes using 0.5 oz/15ml of meths and two refills:cool:.

The other stove was an experiment to see how small a stove can get and still be useful. The smallest object for a body I could find was a 12 bore shotgun shell. I did try a .410 shell but that was pushing things:) I drilled it out to accept a micro nipple and again rolled up a wee bit of carbon felt for the wick.

002-16.jpg

006-7.jpg

This teeny tiny stove weighed in at 0.2 oz/4 grams but my scales are not that accurate and boiled ( could not get a hard rolling boil though) 500ml of room temperature water in just over 14 minutes and again used about 0.5 oz/15ml of meths. It did need refiling 5 or 6 times though:rolleyes: I think this may be the smallest practical stove EVER and would probably get an approving nod from even the most UL hiker! :cool:

Hope these fun stoves gives someone some ideas to try?

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The carbon felt I bought from Minibullesign in the USA as I just can't find it in the UK. If you buy the carbon felt wind shield for $10 it works out best bang for your buck and you get enough for 5-10 stoves depending on size. Shipping at a flat rate of $5 is hard to beat too!

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Went for a long walk today and took along a brew up kit consisting of my Titan cup, shotgun stove, pot stand and wind-shield, lighter, Ti fork and a lid made from a jam jar lid and a 1.5 oz/45ml fuel bottle.

Weighs in at 154 grams/5.4 oz and all fits inside the cup.

The tiny shotgun brass stove worked very well as a brew up stove and I had a cup of almost boiling water in 7 or 8 minutes and used 1/3 oz of meths for each boil. Had a nice hot cup of coffee, cup a soup and a hot chocolate on the trail which was most welcome as it was a bit nippy today.

Pics from my I phone...

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE