Two Sheaths

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As per Hamishes examples you can achieve some really stunning results - I was drooling over this one on british blades for a while:
15754439_ad9d07f9692e02a9842997a5167ffe3f_m.jpg

Not given it a go yet, materials are a but expensive.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
thats a beaut Mike! i think thats the mexican braid? correctr me if im wrong folks. Lee was trying to convince me to give it a go at the last meet i was at i really must sometime!

I dunno - you've done more lacing than me so I'd have to bow down to your knowledge. But I love the way it's burnished up to look like reptile scales.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
yeah i want to give it a go sometime but need to conserve my lace at the moment for a sporran commission that has every edge double loop laced. once that nightmare is over i may begin to dream again...

you tried making your own lace yet? - I have a funky tool to do it but the resuts were a little hap hazard.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
The lace making tool from Tandy is pretty good (http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/tools/knives-cutters-splitters/3784-00.aspx) - provided that you use the right leather. Results for thin 'floppy' leather (like sheepskin) can be a bit variable but Dreadhead Hide :) (goat - which was a bit stiffer) wasn't too bad, and it won't take anything above about 3mm thick. Although it's possible to strop the small (removable) blades by holding them in a pair of needle nose pliers, it's worth getting some spares, as I've heard that the supplied blades aren't always that sharp. The blades can also be used in the safety beveller.

It has four slots, and two positions for the blade, so you can get 8 different widths.

Alternatively, the wooden strap cutter can do lace, though again I haven't had brilliant results for thin floppy stuff.

Certainly a useful thing to have for using up small scraps of leather. I've used it to make drawstrings for leather bags, and for tying up things like sets of drinks coasters.

A quick calculation on LePrevo's lace prices suggests that home made lace (from a hide) is perhaps 1/3 the price of bought lace.

Geoff

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Nice stuff there Hamish, there's a knife exactly like that last one laying in my uncle's basement. Anybody know what it is?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
thanks mate its dead simple i punch the holes with a 3/32 inch 4 pronged lacing chisel. then lace it up with 3/32 inch lace. i use tandys superior calf lace

already spent up this months allowance on bits and pieces from le prevo to finish that satchel I'm working on (hopefully it arrive soon as missus birthday on sunday!) but think I'll order some lace when I get my next batch of leather really liking the results.

you just follow online tutorials?

Dreadhead

The lace making tool from Tandy is pretty good (http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/tools/knives-cutters-splitters/3784-00.aspx) - provided that you use the right leather. Results for thin 'floppy' leather (like sheepskin) can be a bit variable but Dreadhead Hide :) (goat - which was a bit stiffer) wasn't too bad, and it won't take anything above about 3mm thick. Although it's possible to strop the small (removable) blades by holding them in a pair of needle nose pliers, it's worth getting some spares, as I've heard that the supplied blades aren't always that sharp. The blades can also be used in the safety beveller.

It has four slots, and two positions for the blade, so you can get 8 different widths.

Alternatively, the wooden strap cutter can do lace, though again I haven't had brilliant results for thin floppy stuff.

Certainly a useful thing to have for using up small scraps of leather. I've used it to make drawstrings for leather bags, and for tying up things like sets of drinks coasters.

A quick calculation on LePrevo's lace prices suggests that home made lace (from a hide) is perhaps 1/3 the price of bought lace.

Geoff

thanks for that Geoff really informative! i bought a bag of lace from leprevo sale. i got 60-80 thick tough lace which i use for sporrans etc. and it all cost me £6! was dead chuffed got enough to last a good while. in the future i may invest in the lace cutter as it sounds cheaper than £20 a real of the lace im ussing although it does go a long way.

Dreadhead

already spent up this months allowance on bits and pieces from le prevo to finish that satchel I'm working on (hopefully it arrive soon as missus birthday on sunday!) but think I'll order some lace when I get my next batch of leather really liking the results.

you just follow online tutorials?

i have an old paper tutorial i got with a cheap kit about a year ago it will be the same as online tutorials. PM me your email and ill send you a PDF booklet on all styles of lacing leather. or if you want the paper copy (which i find easier) i can mail it to you if you like as i dont need it anymore

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i have an old paper tutorial i got with a cheap kit about a year ago it will be the same as online tutorials. PM me your email and ill send you a PDF booklet on all styles of lacing leather. or if you want the paper copy (which i find easier) i can mail it to you if you like as i dont need it anymore

What a star. I'll pm you my email. No need for you to be out of pocket posting stuff :)

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE