Two Sheaths

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I made these two knife sheaths last week finally got around to posting them up here

First up was a wee neck knife sheath for a friend to match the axe mask i made him. he wanted it in green with a similar oak leaf pattern with laced edges and a brass pop stud. I glued some very thin leather over the stud and rivet inside to protect the blade from scratches (cheers for the tip Lee ;) ) i added some braided thong which is thonged through the lacing and made a leather button for closure.
cimg2185c.jpg

cimg2196i.jpg

cimg2195.jpg

to match this axe mask i made for him several weeks ago:
cimg1573a.jpg

i also made him these rucksack patches for xmas but he opened them already the sneaky blaggart

cimg2209v.jpg

Second is one i have made as half of a gift for my girlfriends brother for xmas. Hes had this knife kicking around without a sheath and it has a sentimental value to it. hes mad for west bromwich Albion football team so i made the sheath in the teams main colour navy blue and carved Albion into it. this was before i got my filigree swivel blade knife so these were cut pretty badly with the old square blade which grates on me but swmbo says it looks fine so i will take her word for it. again i laced the edges and used a sam brown stud with some leather glued over it inside to protect from scratches. i never bothered with a belt loop as the knife will never be worn or used. i also need to clean the knife up and give it a sharpen before i wrap it up as its in pretty poor shape.

cimg2189p.jpg

cimg2199h.jpg

cimg2198s.jpg

i dont make sheaths that often so these pretty pretty fun to make.

was given some goodies the other day including this rawhide mallet. i can now say my work is hammered with the power of thor!

cimg2212.jpg

thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
She's a cracker my friend, knife fits in beautifully, it's a sturdy beast so will do me proud at work and of course looks magnificent, your talent in leather work is like the number of arses you possess, twice the amount of any normal man!

L

LeinsterBushcraft

There is some amazing craftsmanship there, well done amazing work.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, those sheaths are rather nice.

Is that the Eco-flo dye you're using? How do you find it? That green is a nice vibrant colour. Did I gather that you'd also used oil dye on some projects? How do you find they compare? I use the standard spirit based (not too bad on the whole) and oil pro (browns very good, but green and blue can give quite uneven results), so would be interested in how they compare.

I must have more of a go at lacing - I did a couple of laced purses a year or so back, but nothing like that lacing - it's very nice indeed. Do you put a welt in to protect the lacing from the cutting edge (I can't tell from the photos)?

Geoff :)

Dreadhead

Thanks Geoff :)

First off, both sheaths DO have a welt. protection is always best and it thickens up the edge which makes the lacing better.

The green is indeed the eco-flo water based dye. iv read a lot of people complaining about these dyes because when you add resist it reactivates the dye and you can get smudges. iv used it a fair bit and not had a problem. it waters down easily to give a lighter coat but i like to keep it vibrant. it looks even better with a coat of neatsfoot oil but for this i had ran out so i used carnauba cream and super sheen without any problems.

iv'e just ran out of some fiebings light brown oil dye. i really liked using it but found it impossible to get the colours i wanted until the very last few drips of the bottle. i find with the oil dye you only need the tiniest amount of dye to get the colour you want. my problem was i used slightly too much and it always ended up either mahogany or dark brown. but what i liked most about it is that it penetrates the leather much better than some other dyes i have used and i used it alot on the flesh side with gum trag it worked a treat. i will no doubt end up ordering some pro oil dye though i dont know what makes it 'pro' !

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
iv'e just ran out of some fiebings light brown oil dye. i really liked using it but found it impossible to get the colours i wanted until the very last few drips of the bottle. i find with the oil dye you only need the tiniest amount of dye to get the colour you want. my problem was i used slightly too much and it always ended up either mahogany or dark brown. but what i liked most about it is that it penetrates the leather much better than some other dyes i have used and i used it alot on the flesh side with gum trag it worked a treat. i will no doubt end up ordering some pro oil dye though i dont know what makes it 'pro' !

Yes - when I first stated dyeing, I found what whatever brown I used it always came out dark brown. Now I always dilute the dye with IDA (99% pure alcohol), in varing degrees for different shades and always case the leather before dyeing to give it some resistance. This does generally give more even results, with the degree of dampness of the leather also affecting the shade. I use the cut up insides of Ugg boots as dye applicator and, unlike you I always wear disposable gloves! :)

IDA has to be bought under license. The license is free, but you have to apply to Customs and Excise for it.

Geoff

Dreadhead

thanks for the comments guys

thats interesting Geoff. i may look into getting some of that. i never thought about casing before dying. iv only just started casing projects properly for carving. not sure how it would effect the tooling if i was to case the leather again. maybe wet the surface with a sponge would be okay. better wait until after xmas before i order any new dyes anyway!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Nice work Hamish,
and Albion aint that the world/kingdom name of Fable?
ps love those green leather pieces you keep making, superb and original style
Yours sincerely Ruud

Dreadhead

the dye is eco-flo emerald green Fish. it's water based dye so it's a love it or hate it thing i think

Thanks Ruud i have no idea about fable i dont play console games they do my head in. same with football! but as he's mad for it he should love this

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE