Two serving spoons

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
After a period of making small spoons, I wanted to try my hand at something a little larger. I had a nice bit of cedar that looked suitable, so I made a serving spoon. I actually got quite a reasonable tooled finish on the bowl, inside and out, but the bowl edge and handle were terrible, so I sanded it smooth in the end. The grain is nice, and a little more pronounced than the picture shows. It is the top spoon below. I'm quite pleased with it.

9017614383_0b6ab4494c_b.jpg

The other spoon is something I finally finished after months. I wanted to try out a different shape, and had an idea about a spoon where the bowl went up the handle. Unfortunately I tried it on a bit of laburnum. The idea of shape didn't work to my satisfaction, the handle felt too wide and clunky, and the soft outer wood tended to tear out whilst the heartwood was like stone. It got abandoned, and just got harder. Well, I fished it out a day or so ago, hacked at it a bit more, and have spent most of the day sanding it until it is a reasonable spoon and the tool marks disappeared. In the end it looks ok, so the effort was worthwhile.

9018805162_73cece5f39_b.jpg

All of my current spoons will go into a sale for my local wildlife trust next month. Thanks for looking.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Really nice Harvestman, I really like the second spoon, just has a purposefulness, proportion and flowing lines that appeal to me.

GB.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Some better pictures.

First the cedar spoon. The handle shape is quite pleasing, as is the handle end of the bowl, an area I normally struggle with.

9019053334_58166843d5_b.jpg

9017861853_9c242c077c_b.jpg

The laburnum spoon is difficult to show clearly, but these might help. The sapwood has a very subtle grain which doesn't come out well in these pics.

9017873143_3812c8b5bb_b.jpg

9017867689_636499debb_b.jpg

9019059562_f3fde212c8_b.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job, never carved Cedar myself, but i know where there is a plantation of it not that far away, oh look that bit just fell off :rolleyes:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are both very nice indeed..............the laburnum one is very like one I use to measure out the flour and milk powdwer for the bannock, the long bowl I find ideal for this; good stuff!.atb mac

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely job, never carved Cedar myself, but i know where there is a plantation of it not that far away, oh look that bit just fell off :rolleyes:

Be careful what you wish for. This bit was nice, but another bit that I had from the same tree was intensely resinous, and was like carving glass. It smells gorgeous though, like an old fashioned boiled sweet.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Nice spoons!

I'm trying as hard as I can to resist the temptation to sand my spoons these days. When everything goes well, I much prefer the finish that I can get off the knife and generally speaking, if I'm not getting a smooth final cut, it means that:

My knives aren't sharp enough
My technique is lacking
I need to let the wood dry off a little for the last few finishing cuts because the grain is lifting

A lot of the spoons I make are for eating with and the mouth-feel of a spoon is really important to me. I don't know why it is, but a spoon which has been finished off the knife feels so much better. It also resists wear long-term better, too. The grain doesn't start to get ragged after repeated washing in hot water and you don't need to care for or oil the spoon as much.

Mainly, though - when I see the spoons that some of the best Swedish carvers make, very few of them use sandpaper. It's frustrating, but definitely something to aim at!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE