two pairs of socks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yup - two pairs of socks. Thin then thick.

Though with good boots I don't tend to bother.

Taping up your hot spots with tape very early on will help quite considerably.

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
harden up your feet at your socks peril
i wear big boots for a minimum of 12-14hrs a day in all sorts of rough conditions.
i swear by haix boots
i wear whatever sock come to hand, normally cheap.
my feet have hard skin almost all the way round their perimeter (not on the 4 smallest toes).
the increased abrasion of said hard skin soon wrecks a pair of socks no matter what the quality.
my feet normally hurt at night

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I use a pair of white cotton sports socks inside my thicker acrylic commando socks in the winter, not had many blisters.

One of the ways escaping Alied POW's tried to prevent blisters in WW2 was to rub the feet with surgical spirit as it hardened the skin. Though I'm not sure if this has any adverse long term side effects, never tried it myself.

Hey chris, you quote the journy to samarkand in your sig, and your called chris. Not Mr Ryan are you?

I did that for a few weeks before I did the Southern Upland way (way too many years back) - no blisters (had a well worn in pair of boots though)

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I always used to wear 2 pairs of socks to stop blisters, thin dress socks inside, MoD black ones outside. It does reduce the chances but you CAN still get blisters, also 2pr of socks can stay soaked longer than 1. I did try some of the moisture wicking liners (Snugfeet) but found them not to last very many uses before coming apart and didn't really dry out any faster.

My best advice for you if you're having to go down this route would be to get the right boots that suit you, good quality and correctly sized. I found I really had to work to keep my feet from disintegrating when wearing issued Boots, Assault, Uncomfortable - 2prs of socks, change socks very often, tape, powder, boots laced just so, replacement insoles, tried hardening skin, tried boots in bath and neatsfoot oil, et cetera ad nauseum, and I still got foot problems! Finally bit the bullet and splashed out on some Lowas and I essentially don't have to worry about all that distracting paraphenalia - just chuck them on and go. Never had a problem.

That's not to say you should neglect your feet or fail to carry spare socks, nor that Lowas are a silver bullet for everyone, but just that good boots beat bad boots with a 'damage control' regime every time.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
i find some people just get blisters and some dont, good boots broken in helps though, dont spare any money on boots, my least exspencive pair is £120 and my most exspencive pair is £190. you only have 1 pair of feet after all and good boots protect your knees and hips etc etc....

hope this helps.

chris.

So far I've found as long as I keep my feet dry I don't suffer too bad, irrespective of whether I have one or two pairs on. I actually don't mind cotton socks, tho' my favourites this summer have been a single pair of cotton blend ankle cut runners socks.

hedgesparrow

Oct 17, 2011
hampshire
i got a pair of socks which where wool with a silk type lining inside keep my feet warm but i use them with my aigle neoprene boots which are so good i never have cold or wet feet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE