two new finds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everyone,
Today i wanted to visit the local art and craft shop,to buy some brown ink.As the shop is at the far end of town, i dont go down that end very much.On my way there, i passed a small antiques,brick a brack shop. The last time i was in was about 6 months ago.So decided to have a look in on my way back.After having a look around i found these.

GEDC0398.jpg

GEDC0401.jpg

GEDC0399.jpg

GEDC0400.jpg

GEDC0402.jpg

GEDC0403.jpg

So tomorrow i will remove the shafts and soak the heads in vinegar for a week to start the renovation.Can anyone tell me who made the kent patern one.I presume that the stamping on it says chip chop as i cannot make out the first letter. The small one does not have any name on it, as far as i can see.But somthing might show up after i start to clean them.Dont we just love junk shops. The asking price for the two was 4 pound for the kent and a pound for the small one.I got them for 3 pound.Argueing that 3 pound in her till, was better than 5 pound on a shelf.
Regards Chris.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if the head's not loose on the gilpin i'd leave it on, it looks to be in good condition, and those old style handles on kent pattern axes are lovely things. in fact, even if it was loose i'd be trying to tighten it personally (either with a new wedge if possible, or failing that with a good soak in linseed oil). there's no real need to soak it in vinegar by the looks of it, just give it a good rub down with something like a plastic pan scourer and a bit of oil and see what happens.

good find by the way

stuart

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hi all,
@ the mad welshman,the soak in vinegar is to remove rust.Soak in a bath of vinegar for a few days, remove said item.Give a rinse with water and a good brushing with a wire brush.Will post some pics when i have time.
Regards Chris.

Citric acid, used in brewing and available from Wilkinsons, does a very good job in place of vinegar - no smell either.

Hi all,
just a couple of pics to show the axe heads after a good soak in vinegar.They were soaked for a week.Then given a brush by hand, with a wire brush.They have now been given a good spray with wd40.Untill i can get round to rehandling them.

GEDC0421.jpg

GEDC0422.jpg

Regards Chris.
Ps Adze thanks for the kind offer mate. But as i now have 3 axes, i dont think i will need to derust anymore.Thanks for the tip about useing citric acid.As you said the vinegar doesnt half smell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE