Twitter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
I think my absence of 3 years from this forum directly relates to the time i have been involved in Twitter.

It is now my job really. I have been on twitter from not long after it started and used it to tweet a week away on the Knoydart peninsular, adventures in the middle east and recently Pakistan as well as interviews with leading political figures.

Still with all my contacts spanning countries it was the BushcraftUK forum bot that wished me happy birthday first this morning and it reminded me of quality conversations with people who knew a thing or two about what to do where there is no phone signal.

So i thought i would pop in and say hi. Sorry for my absence. I have still been out in the wilds. Not truly bushcraft all the time, but certainly having fun.

I was bought a weekend with Woodland Ways in a couple of weeks so you will no doubt see me back in here.. polishing up on my knowledge in the threads.

all the best. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - I have my time filled with keeping up with folk here!
Also - my phone makes and takes phone calls, it is not a camera (I have several cameras), it is not a computer (one is enough) and it stays switched off most of the time - especially when I am in the wilds :D
As "An Old Fogie" I try to avoid the intrusion of the modern world - life is too short (especially at my age!) for Face Book, Twitter etc etc etc - I prefer face to face to interface comunication :)

Follow me on foot....

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
For a so called 'Old Fogie' John (and I include myself in that bracket) you have BCUK down to an art. 5722 posts compared to my 300 or so since 2004.

Facebook and Twitter do have Bushie things going on in them but include the downside of letting the rest of the world in. You can't have everything but it is worth a look if just for a laugh.

Cheers

George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Also - my phone makes and takes phone calls, it is not a camera (I have several cameras), it is not a computer (one is enough) and it stays switched off most of the time - especially when I am in the wilds :D
QUOTE]

Me too :D
I keep telling folks, my phone is there so I can phone home and say I'm going to be a couple of hours late. Erm, that's it really :)

atb,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :D and you what else we are ?...........we are communicators, we are social nodes, we are creative, we teach, we demonstrate, we are publically capable, people.

In my case I also touch type, read really fast and literally hold three or four conversations at the same time.

Not ironic, just reality :D

This forum is a quiet sit down with a cup of coffee, or a quick nip in when I pass the computer :D

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I say - no time to play on twitter..I'm on here all the time!
Thats why I turn my phone off in the "wilds" - I need some quiet time - nothing ironic, just lack of time!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you find a nice quiet spot for camping, good water, plenty of wood, please do not mention it on twitter or the place will be overrun

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh good point :D

It's noticeable that newbies who come on here demanding folks send them details of where the best camp sites are, generally get the realities fo life politely explained.

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I spend far too much time on here and other similar forums so I never get chance to do the twitter or facebook thing. My emails are full of invites for both but I just can't be bothered if I'm honest. Besides there's too many good folk on here and the banter is usually informative and entertaining enough to keep me from straying.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Oh good point :D

It's noticeable that newbies who come on here demanding folks send them details of where the best camp sites are, generally get the realities fo life politely explained.

cheers,
M

Aye Mary

I noticed that as well, it's like they expect a 10 figure grid ref, so they can use the same tree to tie their hammocks to and the same peg holes to boot.

Allways gives me a chuckle when it's a first post too. :lmao:

I do the facebook thingy as a lot of my freinds are in foreign lands and it's easy to stay in touch with them.

:)

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
If you find a nice quiet spot for camping, good water, plenty of wood, please do not mention it on twitter or the place will be overrun

No chance of that. Most i know don't even camp let alone anything more extreme.

As regards the noise. It's all about filtering. And no, not with a sock. ;0)

I'm an early adopter and am interested in all tools. There are are two possible futures. I would like to be ready for both.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive never got twitter. Its highly likely that if I did, id become addicted to that to!

As for Phones, well, I got my iphone, ive never looked back, Its not best described as a phone but as a device that also happens to phone. It told me precisely where I was lost in the woods in the midlands meets, I can plan my trains and buses on it, at the last meet, I downloaded a free starmap so I could work out what I was looking at and a tide timetable for thousands of locations round the world for the next year. And the best part is, it makes me look like a really annoying yuppie and nothing delights me more than annoying people with technology ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE