TV Licence and iPlayer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not seen any discussion about the most recent change to the TV Licencing regulations.

Basically it means that anyone, unless you're a student, who watches IPlayer must have a current TV Licence.

I know that a number of folks on here only watch TV through the medium of iPlayer so you better look into the changes yourself.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I do not have a TV licence as I do not own a Television. I have deleted the iplayer apps from my phone and iPad to ensure there is no temptation to stray outside the law.

Plenty of other ways to fill my time. Plus other TV content is widely available.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I only use Kodi theses days but i don't think it's fair to impose the license on everyone. I think they should make the BBC a subscription service.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What if you want to watch ITV but not BBC do I not have to pay it?

If you have the facility to watch television programmes as they are aired you have to have a licence, there isn't a distinction between BBC or any independent television channel.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
The rest of the channels are funded by advertising and other forms of support its only BBC that use the funds from the license

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
If you have the facility to watch television programmes as they are aired you have to have a licence, there isn't a distinction between BBC or any independent television channel.
But now you have to have the license to watch catchup services

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The rest of the channels are funded by advertising and other forms of support its only BBC that use the funds from the license

Regardless of that, you're still liable even if you only watch ITV.

The fact that you have TV receiving equipment makes you liable and obliged to pay TV license, regardless of you watch BBC or not, and now even if you don't have a TV but watch programs online as they're being aired, or if you watch iPlayer.

Don't even get me started on this ...
Interesting timing for this thread.
Last January we decided to get shot of all of it , as even the kids don't watch it...

I've ripped all the cable , aerial from the loft and booster , and just kept the TV set as a monitor for movies, concerts, documentaries and other stuff that we like to watch , (already have a huge collection and still hoarding...)

They still sent a swmbo a court summons, as I cancelled my subscription online , and it was only in my name.
She was the license holder for a bit (2 years ago)out of her direct debits , as I don't have a set payday , I get paid when the jobs are finished.
Then last year I started paying it and became the license holder until cancellation.

Surely I cancelled the only policy that is viable for the household but now they're trying to say she should've cancelled her policy too...
Just ridiculous and totally big bully tactics with prison threats and court summons and big big fines.
They can stick it.
I despise TV anyway , and all of these reality , celebrity rubbish.
It's all just geared to make us dumber and greedier with hardly ,

(1or2 exceptions , namely David Attenborough's and other documentaries)

any educational or purposeful value.

We read , listen to music , see friends and spend time together , indoors and outdoors, as a family.

This is just my opinion, before I get my head bitten off by the TV addicts.
Though I doubt there will be many here...

Each to their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Just slightly off topic , but it's a classic speech and even more relevant today.

Its an excerpt from a 70's movie called "the network" and I hope it fits here.

Mods please feel free to delete if not allowed and my apologies if I should have not shared this on here...

Enjoy
https://youtu.be/c5Gf0VKXk5Q

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
As I understand it even if you have equipment capable of receiving BBC broadcasts you only need to pay a licence if you actually DO watch BBC content. I am perfectly within rights to own a T.V. have an aerial and have them connected together, IF I just use the T.V. with a DVD player and only watch prerecorded DVD's [that I have paid for - obviously] I do not need a licence.

I haven't had a telly since Uni. Every couple of years they write to me to make sure I've not suddenly gone out and bought one. There have even been 'researchers' come round to ask me about my watching habits :)!

researcher "So what's your favourite T.V program?"
me "I like Red dwarf and Bottom, but they were on in the 90's when I last watched telly. I don't know what's showing currently on account of not having a telly!"

I haven't been bothered since then :)

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Cancelled mine about 3 years ago, we moved in to a house that didnt have an aerial and you would have had to have had sky, dont think so

just watch dvds and use TV as monitor for games console

but mostly just watch stream tv through amazon prime video

havent had any letters or visits or anything since.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
As I understand it even if you have equipment capable of receiving BBC broadcasts you only need to pay a licence if you actually DO watch BBC content....
I'm afraid not mousey , that's what I thought too.
85044d6c31a9ab1c1fc191c0d96f076e.jpg

( 1st bullet point...)

They're constantly moving the goal posts and the law is on their side...

As for your favourite TV shows, brilliant ! Bottom is awesome.
If they made comedy like that again id probably renew my license...

Off topic:
What happened to British comedy?
From Monty python , porridge, yes minister, only fools and horses to Blackadder and all in between
So many classics yet , nothing else seems to be coming out recently...

😖

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That only says to watch or record live programmes.

Says nothing about owning the required equipment to be capable of doing that but not actually using it?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest as I don't watch it, I'm not lying and am happy to invite Mr BBC inspection man in - if he's nice he may even get a cup of tea.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The minute we let adverts start creeping in, then end is nigh. Adverts are paid for by companies with an interest obviously and once they are relied upon they start to have influence on the media they are advertising on.

Then when there is something they don't like on that channel/provider they will start to use that influence.

I don't agree with everything that goes on in the BBC, far from it but still its the best and most respected media agency out there. Not responsible to private companies, sponsors. I wouldn't change it.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A few years back we ripped the aerial out, cancelled the license and stopped watching TV altogether.

Unfortunately we were hounded repeatedly by the BBC goons and as I was working away a lot at the time, it fell on my wife to deal with them... wasn't really fair, so now we pay for the license now despite not really watching a lot of television.

I disagree that the BBC is respected however, the bias they show time and time again is obvious and while they may not be held to account by private interests visibly, its worth noting that the BBC have a commercial arm called BBC Worldwide. They sell the content that we, the British public, are forced to pay for.

In this day and age if you have to force or bully a private citizen to pay for your service I'm not sure you can claim its a good thing. I'd rather pay an NHS license fee instead to ensure the hospitals stay open than pay towards a bloated out-of-date media company that wastes public money whilst siphoning off a private profit.

With regards to British comedy, very little comes from the BBC nowadays, but Channel 4 did a series called Man Down with Greg Davis and that was very funny for the first couple of series until Rik Mayall died. Its still not bad, but Rik Mayall was brilliantly funny.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
In the old Days Top Gear slated a new Renault.

The Head of Renault France directed the Head of Renault UK to.....

"Cancel all our Advertising with the BBC".

That story on it's own justifies the BBC and how it is funded for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE