Turtles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Can anyone ID a couple of different ones from |Canada

Turtle1_zps48e0007e.jpg

the second one was attracted by the water filter

Turtle2_zpsebae45d7.jpg

Turtle3_zpsead6febe.jpg

Mike

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I spent most of last night trying to identify a turtle from a photograph, and gave up in the end. Not easy. However, if you say which bit of Canada it might help. I'll have a go and get back to you, because your look a lot easier than the little terrapin things I was trying to resolve :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a Common Snapping Turtle to me. Range certainly includes Canada. Both animals, with one being a bit bigger than the other.

That first one is a lovely brute!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What he said.

Steady on with the fulsome praise there Jon. Those things only have half as many legs as I'm used to, and they are wet as well. I was expecting to read you telling me how wrong I was (again).

Never mind, since we have our resident 'expert' on all things scaly and insufficiently legged, what's this? It is the one that defeated me (next time I should learn to read the label on the tank it was in :rolleyes:)

9381084964_7de6d5230f_b.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are they still eaten? I thought they were getting rare. My parents go on (and on) about how nice green (sea) turtle is from their Bermuda days but it's been strictly banned for years.

Sea turtles are endangered and/or protected (all sea species as far as I know) But snapping turtles are still eaten and still plentiful (to the point of being a nuisance in some areas of the south) They're a freshwater species.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Sea turtles are endangered and/or protected (all sea species as far as I know) But snapping turtles are still eaten and still plentiful (to the point of being a nuisance in some areas of the south) They're a freshwater species.

THanks, aye i knew that about the sea turtles (I'm going back over 30 yars when eating them was banned but if you knew the right people at the right restaurant you could still get 'special fish'). I didn't know snappers were plentiful, didn't know they lived so far north either.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
THanks, aye i knew that about the sea turtles (I'm going back over 30 yars when eating them was banned but if you knew the right people at the right restaurant you could still get 'special fish'). I didn't know snappers were plentiful, didn't know they lived so far north either.

To be honest, I didn't know they were that far north either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE