Turn off Smilies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Is there a way of turning off the smilies? I don't mind the basic set, but now that there's now a choice of about a million fully-animated ones, I'm finding them somewhat distracting.

I know you can turn off smilies for a post (I've done it for this post, just because I can!), but I wonder if it's possible to have an option in the User CP or something. So people who like them can use them and see them, and people who don't can turn them off and more easily ignore them.

Thanks,

Mark

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Oh dear, thanks for that Jjv110! Someone had to, I suppose...

Also cheers to Andy, that looks just the ticket. If it's too much hassle for Tony / the team to do then don't bother, but if it's a 2 minute job then I (and perhaps others?) will be very grateful.

Mark

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
mark a. said:
Oh dear, thanks for that Jjv110! Someone had to, I suppose...

Mark
You're right. I just had to, eventhough I knew it was totally immature. Sorry!!!
I can also be serious.

Cheers, Julian.

Forager

Jun 22, 2005
If you're savvy enough to run the excellent firefox browser with the adblock extension, you can block all the images from the smilies directory and they all disappear. Similar trick also works for avatars.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Forager said:
If you're savvy enough to run the excellent firefox browser with the adblock extension, you can block all the images from the smilies directory and they all disappear. Similar trick also works for avatars.

That man's a genius. That certainly works (and thanks for the compliment on my excellent browser choice!)

I hope I don't miss out on any subtle emotions (simple smilies can be useful in forums). I can always unblock the smilies folder if it all goes pear-shaped. If only there was a way of keeping the :) or :( or similar, without them turning into all-singing, all-dancing yellow things.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I hear ya.....But sorry guys, I'm not going to hack the code. I may in the future but not in the near future :)

The firefox option is a good one, I used to run it, I should again :D I will have a look at the hack though, I might change my mind :rolleyes:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Cheers Tony. As I said, if it's a nightmare, then fine. I'm not an expert in such things, so I don't know if it requires higher level hacker skills, or if there's an option somewhere that be clicked on/off.

The Firefox option seems to be working for me for now (much cleaner). Although Julian, it now means that your first post above makes no sense at all (it's just a blank post). Revenge is sweet...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE