Turbo Girl....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Driver skill is very important I'd have thought. I knew a guy who had the best Mitsubishi 4x4 money could buy all kitted out for off-road. Winch, snorkel, etc. Got it stuck on a beach and called local dealer for help (was only a month old). The local Mitsubishi dealer turned up in their landy and drove up next to him (with sea water rising up the tyres) hooked up a tow line and pulled him out!! That was down to the ignorance of the guy I knew. What I liked though is the dealer told him they are always fishing people off the beach with mistubishis which is why they got the landy. Obviously kept round the back out of the way. Wonder if you agree? Is a top spec shogun with a bit of kit any better or worse than a landy??

Should have just let some air out the tyres,:)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Perhaps he didn't want to damage an expensive Mitsubishi? Bet the chassis on the Landie loved the saltwater... Do the Mitubishi's have low ratio/locking diffs?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
considering toyotas and mitsubishi are the predominant makes out in sandy countries i would say they just had a beat up landy to pull rubbish drivers out the sand,

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Any vehicle with decent traction can help recover one without. As I've seen on pay'n'play days it's definitely about the driver - many of them deliberately try to get stuck as it's a fun challenge to get out again.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We had some guys in a local offroad club who ran a VW beetle in the trials and came halfway up the leaderboard :) It kinda proved something, like the driving abilities of the folk who finished behind them ;) I'm too throttle reliant to be a really good ORer, I was rubbish in the 101 with its big V8 but the lads liked playing recovery and I liked playing victim so it all worked out well in the end!

We used to shoot down to the lincs coast with all the lannies HWMBO & his freinds could ressurect and play around on the bombing ranges- we killed soooo many just with salt water and a years standing...

BTW you seen the latest 'Defender', the DC100 was revealed at Frankfurt Show yesterday...https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150319200092722.363943.12828212721&type=1 My favorite quote on the comments where I lifted the link from... "OMG... You keep it talking, I'll go get my gun..." =)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahaha I love the 101 FC, my dad had one after much searching he bought it from a REME guy at Larkhill, loved it, his reasoning was it was the perfect family car, him, mum, my two sisters, me and the two dogs went all over the country in it! will see if my mum still has any pics, Would even give up my Jeep to have one of those now!:D:cool:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Would even give up my Jeep to have one of those now!:D:cool:
I was gonna say something cheeky but I guess it depends on the jeep! We've got an ambulance body 101 but its not the racing brick that the GS canvas top is... dunno if we'll ever get round to getting them back on the road tho, considering the SORN duration of my lanny, it isn't looking good :(

It's funny how folk put size of tyre/ wheel over all...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I took the Pinz to an AWDC trial and it's just too big compared to the nimble SJ's. Much smaller than a 101, though:

DSC_0669.jpg

Fuel consumption is similar but you don't have the advantage of that lovely V8 power... :(

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Love them.

whats the net thing on the bonnet on the afgan play thing :)

its just a storage compartment, the net goes over the bergan or what ever and clips onto its self, normaly a med bergan with drips, hem con, bandages, airways etc etc...

in that pic its all stripped down ready to transport, radios, ECM, 50 cal and GPMG removed, still full of smoke, ammo and crud though...;)

the smoking thing behind it is the burn pit where we got rid of all the rubbish, the hard bits to burn got a helping hand from phos grenade...;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Bilgerat, I don't think you can see too much of a good thing like that lannymans wolf :) Tis just a shame they've departed so far from it with the new DC100 released at Frankfurt... don't think they'll be winning any defence contracts with that!!

The pinz's seem really well thought of, any advantages/ disadvantages? In answer to an earlier post, the L200s do have diff lock and low ratio (well pre 2006 anyhow, not stocked a newer one) but the farmers locally keep killing the gearboxes and if they're run outta juice, the fuel pump 'ks up and needs an expensive replacement- I find em great on the road but not geared so well for OR use :) Same as all the dbl cabs except LR, they mighty skittish on slippery stuff on the back end, stick knobblys on and you can perform torville n dean routines even on damp roads ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE