Tungsten carbide blade.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I would think you don't need sharpening ever, unless you get a chip then it's back to the factory for grinding on diamonds...

I think tungsten blade would be as much of a breakthrough as steel vs bronze. One way or another I hope they will be developed in my lifetime.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would think you don't need sharpening ever, unless you get a chip then it's back to the factory for grinding on diamonds...

I think tungsten blade would be as much of a breakthrough as steel vs bronze. One way or another I hope they will be developed in my lifetime.

They said that about Ceramic knives too.
I have a Japanese made Kyocera that was sharp for less than a year.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Hmmm, i have TCT cutting tools and they certainly get blunt. Must say though i'm the type that always prefers a softer knife thats easier to sharpen....i have a couple of ATS34 knives knocking around that never get fully sharp because i just cant be bothered lol

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd imagine that a couple of grits in monocrystalline diamond plates would fill your sharpening needs, as they do for fine woodworking edges.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd imagine that a couple of grits in monocrystalline diamond plates would fill your sharpening needs, as they do for fine woodworking edges.

For me?
I can get them sharp, it just takes so much more effort to get them there. yet the absolute razor edge doesn't seem to last that much longer to be worth the effort. So they generally live their lives semi blunt and little used

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmmm, i have TCT cutting tools and they certainly get blunt. Must say though i'm the type that always prefers a softer knife thats easier to sharpen..l
I'm with you there. For everyday use, give me a knife that is hard enough to work whatever I'm cutting and easy to sharpen. No harder than necessary and tough enough to handle the work.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
BigMonster,
If the problem that started you down this path is scratches in you laminated blades' cladding, why not try something less extreme first? Most laminate cladding is pretty soft stuff, 48-54RC being common. You could go for a non-laminate blade, or look at harder more abrasion resistant cladding for a fraction of the price of tungsten carbide, and get all the benefits of steel.

I don't think those carbide knives look all that nice. They also show uneven edge grinds, which for the price and hooplah does not impress me.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I pack a sheet each of 3M automotive fine finishing W&D sandpapers = 600, 800, 1000, 1500. That's less than $6.00 for me.
I'd rather work with edges that I have some control over rather than a laa-dee-dah edge that fights back.
What's the long term value of a TC edge in the first place?

Ceramics rule. Even in our forest industries, the planer mills never use TC blades. Ceramic for 20+ years.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is interesting on the website that they say not to use the blades for chopping. I wonder if they might suffer if used for batoning as well?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
mrcharly: if you speak of ceramic blades, they are brittle. The edges chip easily, at least the expensive kitchen blades do.
Batoning should do lots of damage.

A planer mill probably runs the cutter heads ar 12,000rpm maybe as high as 20k.
I don't pretend to understand the mechanics except that ceramic cutters last 3X steel.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I tried to sharpen my Kyocera kitchen knife last night on a Diamond coated sharpening thingy.
Kyocera kitchen knife rests now on the Queens Bottom in the canal, waiting to be discovered by Archeologists in a couple of Millennia.

( in other words, sharpening did not work, blade became a saw. Lots of small chips)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Congratulations on your victory, Janne.

My partner had an infatuation with ceramic kitchen blades for a couple of years. Knives and peelers.
Me? Just shut the Hello up and wait.
More convenient to buy a new one than try to sharpen an old one (I've heard rumors about the chipping.)
Stopped hinting about good diamond plates. Santa never got the message.
Plus, they break when you drop them on the floor. I could never get used to the white/black blades.

She now comprehends how soft, plastic and forgiving steel is for edges.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Congratulations on your victory, Janne.

My partner had an infatuation with ceramic kitchen blades for a couple of years. Knives and peelers.
Me? Just shut the Hello up and wait.
More convenient to buy a new one than try to sharpen an old one (I've heard rumors about the chipping.)
Stopped hinting about good diamond plates. Santa never got the message.
Plus, they break when you drop them on the floor. I could never get used to the white/black blades.

She now comprehends how soft, plastic and forgiving steel is for edges.

Thank you!
I like super sharp kitchen knives ( all knives), so I bought the Kyocera about 5 years ago. White ceramic with a black handle. Was superb for about 6 months, then got duller and duller until I stopped using it about a year after the buy.
Got the idea last night to sharpen it after reading this thread.
I bought some various Japanese kitchen knives over the past year. Will take them with me to my grave. Fantastic edge holding, despite the different steels.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My go-to kitchen blade is a 6"/15cm tarnished little asian cleaver. So good, I have 3 or them.
Lots of work to clean off the packing grease and revise the bevels. Full length tangs just
bent/bashed over at the heel of the unfinished wooden handles. I forget. Maybe $7.00 each.

I suspect that the Japanese just toss their ceramic blades for new ones.
I'm using creamic veg peeler #3 with 2 spares still in their packages. They really
are deadly sharp but chip like a wood saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE