Tudor Monastery Farm

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just started on BBC2 - some Bushcrafty type stuff already seen includes using char cloth with flint & steel and making rushlights

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty sure I spotted a historical error on the rushlights :) I'll be guided by Tom on this one though and see if he calls it!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking carefully on Iplayer I think I was probably wrong about the error....tough to see at a glance!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ruth needs to be told not to be so generous with the charcloth :)

She used up enough for about 5 fires with that fistful she was striking sparks on to

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

She used up enough for about 5 fires with that fistful she was striking sparks on to

I take it she just had the stuff in a heap instead of putting a piece on top of the flint?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

She was not getting loads of sparks.. so may have needed to make sure she got one :)...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
She was not getting loads of sparks.. so may have needed to make sure she got one :)...

All the more reason to have the cloth on top of the flint; one spark is all you need :)

I told my wife last night that we'd be bickering about her flint/steel technique :lmao:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oddly enough although I know we all do the char cloth on top of the flint personally I've never seen any evidence that it was done that way back in the day. All the illustrations I've seen have been of of showers of sparks being thrown downward onto the char cloth, with the steel in the left hand with the flint striking down, usually into a tinder box, which was fitted with some sort of damping plate or block to extinquish the ember after lightning a sulphur match. Icelandic sulphur was being shipped in by the Hanseatic league from a early date. 16th C tinder boxes (few survive) were of the dug out variety, usually with two compartments, one the hearth and the other a larger one for the steel, flint, sulphur matches. By the 17th C nailed and jointed boxes were becoming the norm, usually with a sliding lid and a hole in the base to hang it up on a wall out of the way when not being used.

ATB

Tom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I usually strike sparks down unless I'm working in a wet environment where I keep everything in my hands and direct sparks up.

I find it more convenient that way but I don't really need more than a sliver of tinder to work with.

It's a daily task for me when I'm working but when I started in living history I found very few people were doing it, or even knew about how to do it. I'm not sure how much it is practiced even today by re-enactors.

Dave Thirwell, the guy that first taught me the technique, reckons he also taught a young fellow that he later saw on a TV program called "Tracks" and I have absolutely no reason to doubt his word.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
We saw this last night, and steel technique notwithstanding I thought there was something else worth noting.

I know life was hard in Tudor times but look how far Ruth had to walk; all the way from Sussex to South Wales to go to church and then on to the Peak District to make a bowl!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE