trying the Dakota fire hole.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I didn't :(

Surely......

For folk wanting to try such a method as the Dakota fire pit, it is ground dependent, as I'm sure Fish and Chiseller are already aware. By this I mean .....certain ground conditions, especially peat, ash and coal rich soils are not best suited to such a venture. I only mention this as folk who may not be aware to the environmental dangers of such a fire, should proceed only on suitable ground. Not wanting to sound condescending, just hoping that readers are aware, as I'm sure chiseller and fish are :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I meant the comment to Fish, Chisseller :D. Think my post got itself in the wrong place - as they often do when I try to "reply to thread" and end up hanging off someone else's post! :rolleyes:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Always wanted to try one at my local haunt as its mostly clay a few inches down. Only problem is the wind starts from the south in the morning, by mid day its anyones guess and in the evening its from north. Thats a lot of holes to be dug so it always puts me off.
Great photos as always fish.

Hi Dwardo, don't worry about the wind, it's only necessary to have wind blowing up the breather hole if you want/need the "furnace effect". Like Fish says you partially block the breather to control the severity of the fire.
I've used pack,my body, & soil, to reduce the wind blowing directly into the breather wHen it was an unwanted effect.

The fire can be dug happly with two completely parallel shafts, like a lettet U, and the rising heat from the hole with the fire in will create the draw, just like a Kelly kettle.
The deeper you go, the longer the chimney so the more of a chimney draw effect you get.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Dwardo, don't worry about the wind, it's only necessary to have wind blowing up the breather hole if you want/need the "furnace effect". Like Fish says you partially block the breather to control the severity of the fire.
I've used pack,my body, & soil, to reduce the wind blowing directly into the breather wHen it was an unwanted effect.

The fire can be dug happly with two completely parallel shafts, like a lettet U, and the rising heat from the hole with the fire in will create the draw, just like a Kelly kettle.
The deeper you go, the longer the chimney so the more of a chimney draw effect you get.

+1 to this. In fact this firehole was develped specifically to use in areas where the wind made surface fire impractiacl or unsafe The Dakota prairie) And the original was indeed the U shaped one described above.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
cheapy lidl one,dont bother with one theyre crap,buy a pro job and if you dont like the art form sell it on to me! lol

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
I love Dakota pits! When you need a fire just for cooking they are perfect, keeping the heat locked in. Good air glow so rarely any smoke if you get it right and a good fire setup for areas where the public walk nearby

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hehe, something really new to me indeed. I have a frying pan that just perfect for a pit like that, might have a go some time soon myself! Thanks for sharing! :)
Andy

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I have to admit I've not tried the method yet but I will soon. I talked about "gasification" on a different thread, the one about top down burning. I think that if a feller used split wood or branches about 2" in diameter and packed them vertically into the hole then lit it from the top there would be almost no smoke. The fire would turn into one mass of burning coals all at once and produce intense heat. Not something we always want but I really think that in the middle of my yurt it would be the answer to fire without resorting to my stove. Once the coals are formed I think the air hole could be refilled and a stone put on top of the fire and back filled with earth. It would maintain the heat for a good long time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE