Tropical tree identification, please!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just collected a few seeds from a Royal Poinciana tree in the Dominican Republic. Doubt they'll germinate in the UK which is a shame as the flowers are amazing

Seed pods:
null_zpsdd79cc6c.jpg

null_zps876ca230.jpg

Bark:
null_zpsfd26d56b.jpg

Foliage:

null_zps765e3cf4.jpg

Seeds:

null_zpsee3c7e75.jpg

I also collected a few seeds from another tree, which has much smaller, papery seed pods. These are all over the place (though sadly none within reach near the hotel). Any ideas what they might be? They're possibly mimosa tenuiflora but not sure

null_zps1cf47ff3.jpg

Finally, I picked up this (which is an easy one...)

null_zpscedb1511.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm not sure it's a good idea to be fetching seeds around the globe unless you know exactly what you're doing; think of all the problems, unforseen, that we have now because of precisely this.

Honest thoughts, not trying to pontificate or lecture at all, just my thoughts :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
LFair point but the poinciana is already grown in the UK, although not very successfully as it needs a warmer climate.

The acacia seeds won't germinate and the last one has already been thrown away :)

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
The leaves look like Mimosa sensitive, I have one in the kitchen, but very small, definitely looks like some kind of mimosa.

Scott

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think it's Leucaena leucocephela, the "miracle tree". Won't grow outside in the UK but the seeds are edible to an extent. I wonder what it's like to carve?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE