Trolls: No ID no net. BCUK good balance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Well troops what,s your thoughts of anonymity on the internet. Its got its advantages as recently witnessed in the middle east and African revolutions.
But after the recent TROLLS being jailed for sleazy, abusive comments and death threats to football managers prove that it does have its disadvantages.

We can all have a wee wind up, disagree with others opinions and even have a wee ding dong on the BCUK.You maybe not agree with their opinion on that matter for discussion at the time but you can at least respect them for their opinion, identification and place of origin. Come the next thread its all pals again sitting round the campfire.

Big picture though is the vile, sick mobile phone texts and internet use by Trolls who make others lives a misery through cyber bullying. Some of the comments recently aimed at a certain football manager in Scotland has now led to new legislation involving jail sentences.

I feel that is too much too late and the internet providers should shoulder some of the blame. Perhaps if there had been more internet control in the first place then the cyber bullying would never have got that far.:vio::vio::vio::drive:

phil

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I totally agree that troll are a problem and deserve the punishments they get.

Where I don't agree is that the ISPs and the original development of the internet is to blame.

You don't blame Mr. Ford if someone uses his car in a hit and run. You don't blame BT if someone uses their phone service to harass and threaten another person.

Why blame the Internet?

Just look at China where they have implemented controls and censorship on the Internet. If that was standard practice world wide there never would have been an Arab Spring. There was a media frenzy after the recent riots blaming Blackberry and Facebook for helping facilitate the riots. What rubbish, you can't have it both ways!

At the end of the day the Internet is like a very large town square. Everyone is there shouting and communications. Some things you'll like, some things you won't. The only way to control it is with thought Police and who knows where that'll end.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
In light of The Suns 'target a troll' campaign perhaps the trolls should give up on the internet and hack peoples' phones instead.
Much more moralistic.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its a nonsense, if I wanted to to use the internet for malicious purposes, do you think i would do it from home, only the dumb people use a home ip, where as you can wonder into any library and use there system with complete anonymity, legislation only restricts the idiots to stupid not to get caught and the law abiding who don't use it to bully or threaten any way, its just silly posturing

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Its a nonsense, if I wanted to to use the internet for malicious purposes, do you think i would do it from home, only the dumb people use a home ip, where as you can wonder into any library and use there system with complete anonymity, legislation only restricts the idiots to stupid not to get caught and the law abiding who don't use it to bully or threaten any way, its just silly posturing

+1

Yep, pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

"...Perhaps if there had been more internet control in the first place then the cyber bullying would never have got that far..."

A lack of 'internet control' isn't the problem, a society that produces people who find their entertainment in 'cyber bullying' etcetera is.

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Blaming an object, whether it be a knife, firearm, internet or whatever, for something that a person has done, results in more controls and ineffectual legislation that generally affects the majority of a nations law abiding people, rather than the few that caused the problem to begin with.
The internet is the last means of free speech left to the people of the world. Leave it alone. We have too much government interference/control/regulation worldwide as it is.
Punish the ones causing the trouble, not the rest of us.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Why stop at computers? Lets bring in heavy handed legislation on knives, alcohol, hammers, decent round chucky stones that can be lobbed a good distance, motorcycles, cars, paper (lots of people get cut by paper every year) and everything that isn't made of bubble wrap or cotton wool*.

On a slightly more serious note, the recent bloke who got done for trolling was a pillock, he's been sentenced so I don't see the need to clamp down on everyone else just because of his pathetic actions. He's been dealt with.

*Thinking about this, cotton wool and bubble wrap might need fireproofing as well.

Last edited:

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I don't think a prison sentance was appropriate for what this guy did. Of course it was pretty despicable and must have been very hurtful and offensive to the familes involved.
What sort of society would we be living in if they started jailing people everytime someone was offended?
Like others have said, the internet is a tool and can be used to positive and negative ends.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can't agree to controls of the Internet.

Free speech must prevail, if someone does do something offensive then the law is there already to combat same.

If all else fails then the fall back is good old Breach of the peace.

Best way to combat the offensive or bullies is to ignore same or have a quiet one in their shell like.
You're obviously getting forgetful in your dotage Phil. Lol

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've never had any trouble with trolls TBH, but then I don't hang about under bridges - no wifi or fone coverage there.

Liam

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Can't agree to controls of the Internet.

Free speech must prevail, if someone does do something offensive then the law is there already to combat same.

If all else fails then the fall back is good old Breach of the peace.

Best way to combat the offensive or bullies is to ignore same or have a quiet one in their shell like.
You're obviously getting forgetful in your dotage Phil. Lol

That's more or less my take on it.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have my reasons for wishing to remain vaguely anonymous on internet forums, not because I am involved in criminal activity, planning riots, trolling or whatever (oh for the excitement of it) but because there is a part of me that lives a very public life and some of my private expressions might not be seen by some as compatible with that. I have got into trouble as a result of a blog where my university was prepared to throw the book at me, it was so serious that they ensured that not only was the offensive blog post removed, but any syndicated copy of it or link was, and that the google cache was erased too, and it takes corporate lawyers to do that. Ever since that time I know they are monitoring me and I want to graduate at the end of it all. I am sure there are many parallels and people have lost there jobs as a result of what they have posted to openly on the internet. Some of the fora I post on are health related and quite simply that is stuff you don't want potential employers with the force of google behind them ever finding that out about you.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I agree with a lot of what has been said so far particulary with Tam,Barnowl in free speech must prevail. I would not like to see a big brother approach to control of the internet, but some sick individuals go to far. I don,t believe a jail sentence is the answer but there needs to be some deterrant, I feel for the poor families targeted.

phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE