Trip to Scotland- where to go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I was thinking about going on a trip to scotland for a week to enjoy the vast terrain, lochs, and forrests. However i have never been to scotland before and i have no idea where would be a particularly nice place to go. Can anyone suggest a location that would be a nice place to visit. Perhaps you have a favourite place that you like to visit. Im looking for an area with large forrest and remote from any major civilization.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
if you are looking for wooded ,why not try Tentsmuir forest over on the east coast,just above st andrews it is a huge forest of scots and corsican pine that runs right along the coast line.so it would be good for a paddle as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Train to Pitlochry and just keep walking :D
Trees, trees and more trees, and hills, and lochs, burns and rivers :cool:

Oh and the chippy up the road to the Co-op, "The Plaice to Be" is really, really, really good........he even does gluten free batter :)

There's also a backpackers hostel in town so you can get a clean up and a night's b&b before the journey home among other folks :rolleyes:

Or, How about Inverness ? Loads of forests along Loch Ness.

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Oh and the chippy up the road to the Co-op, "The Plaice to Be" is really, really, really good........he even does gluten free batter :)

Funnily enough, I was there yesterday on the way back from the Black Isle. He claims to have sold over 1 million fish suppers.

Jon you could get the east cost train line to Inverness which opens up your options for getting further north by public transport, you can change to a train to Plockton and Skye from there too so you're not limited to Mallaig on the West Coast too.

The Black Isle is good for camping, good food and wildlife but isn't quite as spectacular as Western Isles or the Cairngorms in terms of scenery. It is, however, much drier and midge free. It is the best place in Scotland for spotting dolphins and red kites. It's a bit parochial though.

Then there's the Borders, the Upper Clyde Valley, the South East Coast, Strathspey, Strathearn, Strathtay....

What would you like to see and do the most?

if you are looking for wooded ,why not try Tentsmuir forest over on the east coast,just above st andrews it is a huge forest of scots and corsican pine that runs right along the coast line.so it would be good for a paddle as well.

:AR15firin
I worked there on the reserve and the coast around Tentsmuir has some of the most dangerous currents and rip tides not to mention speed of tides in Scotland. Never paddle a kayak or canoe there unless you are with a local guide/expert. The tide at one time went out around 5 or 6km and rushes in fast. I got sick of rescuing tourists/boats who had wandered/motored in and got cut off on their way back.

Tentsmuir is a great place but the FC did have a habit of chasing campers off (the law has changed now so ur ok!), their ranger wasn't the most people friendly guy I've met.
The sand dunes are a well known cottaging location so just be aware that if you choose to camp in the dunes you may see some sights pmsl.

At this time of year why not choose a route with bothies? You'll get plenty shelter, have achance to dry out your gear and have a decent fire and get a heat into you as well. Most folk underestimate the weather up hear and it may not be snowing or sleet yet but the wind and rain make it really uncomfortable if you are just bivi'ing it or tenting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE