Trip to Northland NZ

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It’s been ½ term here in NZ for the last couple of weeks and I took this last week off and took the family on a trip to Northland to the Kauri Coast camping at the Kai Iwi Lakes...

The lakes are interesting as they are ancient freshwater lagoons that were once trapped behind a dune system now they are about 1.5k from the coast...
I took a walk around the largest lake Taharoa with my oldest son William who is 6..
http://www.kaipara.govt.nz/images/dp_maps_Y260809.jpg

We kicked off from the camp ground here are some views of the beach at Pine beach campground I took the previous evening..
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

On the way we passed quite a few paper wasps getting ready for the winter ahead..

IMG_0179.jpg

The path brought us to Sandy bay where we took a few photos...
IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Onwards for a lunch stop and simple fare salami and apple eaten in the shade of a red pine..
IMG_0156.jpg

We found some great bivvy spots on the way such as this one under a large pohutakawa tree
IMG_0159.jpg

With a n ice view of the lake
IMG_0160.jpg

Then on past a swamp full of dead manuka trees..

IMG_0189.jpg

Back to the camp ground in time for tea and a nice sunset..

IMG_0164.jpg

A couple of days later we found and climbed Maungaraho Rock which is a few Km’s south of Dargaville..

Here it is from some distance..

IMG_0208.jpg

And a bit closer up...
IMG_0207.jpg

The path circles behind the rock in the photos and then climbs up to the obvious saddle on the LH side of the photo. Maungaraho Rock is an old volcanic plug and is about 300m high.
Here is William on the ‘via ferrata’ ladder on the way to the saddle.
IMG_0194.jpg

And a view looking back down at the ladder from the saddle
IMG_0203.jpg

A few shots of the view from the top.

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Finally a view of the rock close up the way up runs from left to right along the ridgeline in the photo
IMG_0205.jpg

We had a good time on the climb and the walk...

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
ya did it again Johnboy ............................

Red card mate your sin binned!!! no more pics!!!!

As I said before great pics yer a lucky begger for sure truly stunning. It looks like we are planning a trip over there for 2012 just need to save now we will be coming for 4 weeks so need to save hard now.

Thanks for posting again...................... NOT!! lol

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
ya did it again Johnboy ............................

Red card mate your sin binned!!! no more pics!!!!

As I said before great pics yer a lucky begger for sure truly stunning. It looks like we are planning a trip over there for 2012 just need to save now we will be coming for 4 weeks so need to save hard now.

Thanks for posting again...................... NOT!! lol

Ok I'll stop posting...:rolleyes:

2012 will be a good year to visit.. The Rugby World Cup is here next year so prices for stuff will rise accordingly.

What time of year are you thinking of visiting?? 4 weeks is about right a week to get over the flight and then 3 weeks on a bit of a tiki tour around.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Stunning pics John

My folks have been telling me for years to get over there, one day I will hopefully

Go for it Shewie, it is well worth the expence, but you need at the very least a month off work, the longer the better.

Going via the West route is better as it is generally the cheaper route giving more spending money or less time to save up for the trip.

Wings :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE