Trip Down Memory Lane

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was searching Google the other evening for some research material for a project I'm planning and one of the search terms i used was "Survival", amongst the millions of responses to the search query i got was this knife (pictured) and as soon as i saw it, it bought back loads of good memories as i used to one of these exact knives when i was kid.

Survival_Kit_Knife.jpg

The knife as such in retrospect was complete junk, but at the time, a mate of mine who used to live just up the road, still does funny enough, and i used to tear all over the South Downs with one of these on our belts and a Black Widow catapult in our back pockets (nobody blinked an eyelid either, how times have changed) and we used to love the things, if i remember right it never ever took or held an edge, the tang was about a half an inch long and was threaded to accept a nut inside the hollow handle, and in use the blade always used to come off or at least start to come very loose as the nut slowly undid itself, the wire saw lasted about half an hour, the fishing kit was better suited to catching Great Whites off of Cape Town, than three ounce roach in the local pond, the compass showed every direction except north and the sharpening stone on the front, i reckon was cut from a breeze block, but did we care?, nope not in the slightest, they were complete junk, but during our childhoods, they were a prized and envied possession, if i could get another one, i would just for the sheer nostalgia of it.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington

The oldest one was actually my fathers, he bought two and gave me one when i was a whipper snapper.
Slight different to the one you picture, hard sheath, with a small compartment with a spear head and rubber arrangement for sling shot.

I bought another one about 7 years ago, which is basically the same, but not as sturdy hahaha

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There was one very similar on the "bring & buy" table at the Moot -

I wish I had bought it now - would have gone a long way to enabling me to show "Good & Bad" knives!

Ogri the trog

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wonder if there is a proper version available with a decent steel blade that is secured better? In one of my survival books, the author makes one but I can't find a picture of it.

That said, is space really that tight that you need to store stuff in the handle?

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I wonder if there is a proper version available with a decent steel blade that is secured better? In one of my survival books, the author makes one but I can't find a picture of it.

That said, is space really that tight that you need to store stuff in the handle?

I remember a thread with an expensive survival knife supplied with some spikes you screw into the cross guard to turn the knife into a grappling hook - anyone else remember that too?

Magentus

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I remember a thread with an expensive survival knife supplied with some spikes you screw into the cross guard to turn the knife into a grappling hook - anyone else remember that too?

Magentus

Dont remember that one, but going to have to try and look it up now:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE