Tree with winged seeds?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm getting better at tree ID but this one had me stumped. Leaves look familiar, a bit like sweet chestnut but the seeds are unfamiliar:

9c1e26649881a587be259bee20377b78.jpg

Each seed casing is about 20mm across

d14e981fe05a3ee302c259682ab96bcc.jpg

I'm sure Peter_T will be along soon if no-one else enlightens me.

I've gathered a load of seeds to try and propagate some

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Surprising whats available these days. I planted out a couple of Wild Service trees, some sea buck thorn, alder buckthorn, rowans etc. today. We added whitebeam, hornbeam, spindle and alder a few weeks back. I'll never live to see them as big trees but its fun to dream of those who will!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tiny volunteers would be great if you find any (6" is fine). When I saw the post by Spandit I thought "oooh wych elm...we don't have that.....", no worries if you don't Mark :). We are enjoying planting a tiny arboretum here! Saw a tulip tree the other day...was fifty notes though so I passed!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Tiny volunteers would be great if you find any (6" is fine). When I saw the post by Spandit I thought "oooh wych elm...we don't have that.....", no worries if you don't Mark :). We are enjoying planting a tiny arboretum here! Saw a tulip tree the other day...was fifty notes though so I passed!

Ive written it in the job book for later in the year, i know where there are and hopefully will still be a load of saplings, might even be some wee baby ones too - fingers crossed

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wych elm is commonish around here, as it is more resistant to Dutch elm disease than other elms, so tends not to succumb until much later in life, at least 12 years old.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a few elm saplings in my garden, little pests they are, I'm going to dig them up and give them to Rockmonkey as he has started a little space for trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE