Tree sap what trees and you use it for

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
Hi all
i just read the thread on sap is rising and this is new to me and would like to know what trees you tap for sap and what you do with it..
regards
Angelo

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
sycamore and birch are the start with maple if it is sweet type and you can also do walnut , cocco nut, date, oil palms, so there is quite afew as for sap removel it is basicly a small hole say 13mm wide and deep with a hos epipe stuffed into it with the sap draining into a small sealed container like a pop bottle from there we can boil reduce and have syrup or ferment into alcahol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The sap always seems to rise at the same time coughs and colds appear around here. Folks used to put a little upside down Tshaped slit into the bark of a birch, kedge it open with a wee spill, and the sap would run off the spill and into a small jar or bottle. When enough had been collected the spill was removed and the bark gently folded down back into place. The tree healed it over pretty quickly.
The liquid was simmered gently with appropriate herbs and then strained and given to the afflicted to help ease the cough, cold or flu.

These days it usually gets turned into wine.
I used up old honey with it once and made Mead. It turned out well :) but surprisingly dry.

cheers,
Toddy

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
well i use birch for vodka and cough mixure
sycomore of cough mixture
maple for syrup and mead
yew as rat poison
and im going to see if i can harvist sap from elm, beech and alder this year, and if i do ill try find a use for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE