Tree/plant recognition books?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Apart from the Collins Gem. - which are great - you could go for a "Flora". It's a book (doh) that leads you step by step through the identification process of a plant / tree.

On very populair / well known plants it normaly says that you can eat some particular parts (strawberry for example: the fruit). Though not on the anonymous plants. That's something you have to find out yourself (for the moment ;)). So that could be a drawback for not purchasing a "Flora".
Other arguments for not using a "Flora" would be the time it takes to ID a plant, and it could be a bit difficult (well, not that difficult - I can use too) due to the botanical terms that are used in it. (Good "Flora's" have pictures or some explanation about the terms that are used).

On the plus side it gives you an almost 100% positive ID on a plant - it really depends on your skill / dedication to follow the book closely at every single step towards the identification. If you decide to take some short cutts, the identification isn't really save (though if you use it a lot, you'll recognise plants specific plants by their own characteristics and can skipp the ID process).

One specific for the British Isles:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521653150/ref=sib_rdr_dp/202-2293446-2672601

I know there's another one, but can't find the link in my Favourites at the moment ...

Have a look. There are some pages of the "Flora" online, so you have an idea of what I mean.
Have a look at your local bookshop if you can find one and flick trough it. Remember you can always make notes in a seperate notebook about the uses of some plants you want to use, or - if you do it in an organised fashion in the "Flora" itself. This way you can ID every single plant in the UK, and know it's use.

BTW - keep a close eye on the forum in a month or 2 ;)

Hope this helps!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I like the Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guides. There are about 12 of them now and there is one on trees and another on the wildflowers of the British Isles. Also mushrooms, butterflies fish and insects.
Hope this helps.
:)

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
the concise british flora in colour by w.keble martin is good for to keep in house too big for outside.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
There is a readers digest book on british trees and shrubs and also includes winter indentification pages too. I have been using it since December and have learnt loads from it. Well worth it.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
One tip is to learn how to use keys, many poeple just look through the pics to find a match or skip through the key. most of my best most detailed id books have very few pics just some line drawings, with these you can id things anytime of year. with pics it is so to make mistakes.

Learn the terms used in the keys the different parts in the structure of what you are trying to id, doing this helps you pick out the detail.

For example dont look at the colour of a flower but count the number of petals , if they are in 3's i.e 3,6 ,9 etc the plant will almost certainly be a monocotyledon if not in 3's then it will be a dicotyledon. so now you have taken out 50% of the plants in the book.

Over time you can get really good at id skills. Lots of things with a quick glance will give it down to the family, soon you will reckonise things all around you without a book.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
You can't beat the Colins Jems for out in the filed but back at home i have a copy of Colins Tree Guide it's the best tree book i've ever had, the leaf id section is fantastic but the bud and twig id pages for winter id are even better and its just come down in price I paid full price for my hardback

James

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
andyn said:
There is a readers digest book on british trees and shrubs and also includes winter indentification pages too. I have been using it since December and have learnt loads from it. Well worth it.

Excellent book. Highly recommended :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE