Tree Leaf ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I cut a bow stave in winter from a tree that I thought was Ash. I cycled past it today, and it doesn't look like Ash now it's in leaf. I took some leaves and after looking at a tree ID site I think it might be Bird Cherry. Can anyone tell from this photo?

266.jpg

Sorry to be so vague, but I'd appreciate any opinions.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It looks more like salix caprea to me, commonly known as goat/pussy willow or great sallow. Next time you look at it check to see what fruits it has, that should help id it.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It looks more like salix caprea to me, commonly known as goat/pussy willow or great sallow. Next time you look at it check to see what fruits it has, that should help id it.

Good call. I think you might be right.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good call. I think you might be right.

If the bark has little diamonds on it its a winner, never seem to remember the leaves only the bark and definate willow trunk shape, also seems to die off quick too.

Last edited:

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
its Salix caprea (Goat willow ), if you feel under the leaf it should feel like fine hairs, look to see if there are catkins on the tree and if it has the catkins then its a goat willow......(yellow in colour then male/ female a small amount of yellow but mainly green)

hope that was of help

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
More to the point does Goat Willow make good bows? It's pretty stringy and flexible I should think, but maybe a bit too much so? Yew's the way to go I recon although that's assuming you've got some Yew trees!

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Is goat willow part of the poplar family then? Because I was taught that you can identify poplar by the diamonds in the bark.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
More to the point does Goat Willow make good bows?

NJC, Dwardo made a lovely Goat Willow bow. It's supposed to not be a premier bow wood, but I did make a bow with it that I was quite impressed with performance wise, unfortunately I crysaled it at the tillering stage. You can see the goatbow if you click the link to my blog mate. This was because I tried to make a skinny longbow. I should have made a long wide flatbow. I think Goat Willow would make a very good medium poundage flat bow.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cool bow! Especially given the tiller and bow choice. I have tried allsorts of woods in the english longbow/victorian tiller and its a fussy one to say the least.
There is a reason they were mostly made from yew lol. Some exceptional bits of ash and elm with a high SG have made some lovely bows as does the osages etc but the full ELB stats are best left for posh woods or particulaly nice bits of wood.

When is No.3 coming? Just cut some halzel my self ;)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Cheers Dwardo! as a matter of fact I've got a much thicker limb from the same tree that I'm working down into a flatbow, so I'm interested to see how that will come out. I'm hoping it hits as hard as the skinny one, you never can tell though, can you? LOL! Look forward to seeing your hazel bow mate! Your silk backed wych elm was an absolute stunner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE