Tree identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
I know this is probably a VERY easy one, but i have only just managed to add Ash to my list of identifiable trees. Oak, Sycamor, Holly, Beech and some Birch being in the list already.

These are from a cut tree that was fly tipped near where I live. I thought it was Yew, but want to make sure.

5c28fe6a-be5d-2cb6.jpg
5c28fe6a-be7f-9802.jpg

Hope image links work, trying to be clever posting from my phone. If the don't show I will sort them out when i get back home.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup, thats a Yew, orange to blood-red heart wood and a creamy sapwood. The Bark grows in flakes and often has the suckers or "pins" growing as you piece does - these were the bane of old English bowyers as it meant a disruption to the smooth growth rings.

What do you intend doing with it?

ATB

Ogri the trog

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
Excellent, thanks very much!

As it goes I shoot a longbow and was hoping to pickup some decent 7' lengths once I knew it was Yew. Would have been great if I could have exchanged with one of the clubs guild bowyers for a finsihed bow but the most recent find was all cut to about 4' or less including the trunk.

As a newcomer I don't really have any plans for it. I had been struggling to find wood of any kind that hadn't been standing for a long time. So I am just glad that I have somethig to work with, I do have a knife that I want to handle, so looks like that will be its first use.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Snap, one time BLBS archer myself!

There is a recognised joint used in making longbows, like four fingers interlocking about four inches long and if its used in the handle section (where the bow wont bend) should hold well enough. Meaning that you can cut two staves from a shorter section of branch and still be able to make a reasonable bow. Shuold be plenty left over for knife scales too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE