Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
null_zps3692fd10.jpg

Certainly one of the ash family

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Reminds me more of Rhus typhina. That fleshy green stem doesn't look right for Ash or Sorbus species.

image_zps9f5c12fa.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Reminds me more of Rhus typhina. That fleshy green stem doesn't look right for Ash or Sorbus species.

Aye but mind that's the fresh new growth sprouting out so it'll be greener to begin with.

Any chance of a pic of the trunk? I think it is an ash/rowan, difficult to say from the angle. Ash tend to be latter getting their leaves as of the UK trees their the last to get and first to loose their leaves - in general.

Rowan / Ash differences

• Rowan leaves grow on alternate pairs on the twig, where ash leaves are opposite each other
  • Rowan trees generally only grow to around 10 metres as opposed to the 40 metres ash can climb to
  • bark is purplish as opposed to the ash's greenish tint
  • where the ash has single winged seeds in bunches rowan has berries which ripen to a red colour.

Couple of links for you: -
http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/learn/british-trees/native-trees/
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/treenametrail

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks bob on for an emerging Rowan leaf - certainly not an ash - I would say sorbus

This is an emerging Rowan leaf

rowan_new_leaves_200.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks bob on for an emerging Rowan leaf - certainly not an ash - I would say sorbus

This is an emerging Rowan leaf

rowan_new_leaves_200.jpg

You're not wrong when I see that pic. Although Rhus root suckers freely, I've never seen it struggle out of a hedgerow unless there are others in a neighbouring garden.

More pics needed, or another few weeks to develop fully. The most common Rhus has furry young branches, a Sorbus will tend to be smooth and grey, even a bit silvery.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can nip up the end and take comparative pictures of the stags horn sumac and mountain ash if it helps to shed some light....I'm a bit farther North than Spandit of course ..

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
if it helps here is a photo of the trunk of the rowan/mountain ash in my garden, mine is not yet in leaf, buds just opening (sorry if quality of pic is poor) -- PS, it is a little greyer in colour than photo shows.

2639a067-8c0d-49fb-8b11-a50138fb1b58.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Deleted answer as I thought that trunk belonged to the leaf you showed earlier. I should read posts before replying..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It may be another sorbus - but most likely Rowan. I have three varieties here and they aren't easy to tell apart as the leaves open.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found a couple more.

null_zps4b393ca3.jpg

Interestingly, they're all growing around the base of oak trees. Also saw a snake as well (or possibly slow worm) but it slithered into a hole before I could take a decent shot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE