Tree ID please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Out for a wander tuther day and saw this tree with loads of berrys on. Thought it was a spindle from a distance, but got closer and saw it wasn't. Anyone recognise it..?

DSCF0989568x426.jpg

DSCF0990568x426.jpg

DSCF0991600x450.jpg

DSCF0992568x426.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Jon,

Tricky one

The berries immediately say to me that they are bryony rather than part of the tree - were they definitely tree berries? I'm sure they must be with your knowledge!

So then the berries made me think Guelder rose but they aren't bunched enough

The leaf is very whitebeam like to be honest but the berries are all wrong for a whitebeam

I'm sorry mate - I'm going to have to say that I'm stumped if it isn't black bryony growing in something else (or rather black bryony berries on a dead stem in another tree)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the imput guys, but this was definitely a tree rather than a creeper like black bryony or honeysuckle...Tis funny, but I saw another one today at heligan...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My first thought was guelder rose, but you'd know that one.
Not much help, sorry.

There was a thread on Christmas wreaths recently, and someone (I think Xylaria) mentioned adding extra red berries from something local. What were they?

cheers.
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My first thought was guelder rose, but you'd know that one.
Not much help, sorry.

There was a thread on Christmas wreaths recently, and someone (I think Xylaria) mentioned adding extra red berries from something local. What were they?

cheers.
Toddy

I am not that familiar with guelder rose, esp this time of year, but the leaves don't seem the same as this one....??
Must get into studying trees more this comming year...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would go with Toddy on this one John - was the flesh inside the berries clear and 'icky', a bit like snot? :yuck:

Didn't look Aaron... I should of looked on the ground below it to see what the dead leaves were like, but didn't think to....:11doh:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Jon - you got me interested here! So I have been combing all my personal record photos of trees since the books I have can't give me a positive ID.

Now I said no to Guelder Rose in my first post becuase of leaf shape. This is a Guelder Rose Leaf

575190258_5ddf757c78.jpg

The berries looked right but not in clumps as I'm used to - this is what I would expect to see

1497955137_390464d2d9.jpg

However, buried (or berried) amongst my shots was this one

2139047104_4546244e6c.jpg

Check out the bottom left leaf shape and spread out berries....

Now this is a Guelder no doubt - the more common leaf shape can also be seen in the picture. But it has a saw toothed unlobed leaf and spread berries

I can't give you a definitive ID, but there is a way to tell when its in leaf - there are hairs or stipules under the leaf shown clearly here

575190290_b2c9b7ab75.jpg

I hope that helps a little

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for looking Red...You can see the stalks on the leaves on my shot do have a red stem, as they do on your shot, though that may be due to them dying off..? I can remember where the tree is and will check it again next time we go to Mount Edgcumbe...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Guelder rose is very easy to ID when you are standing in front of the bush, just crush and sniff the fruit. The juice smells awful at this time of year. There less scent when they first appear in august.

Honeysuckles have clustered fruit that tastes saccarine/sharp. The branches are brittle this time of year and I can't remember it having fruit in winter.

It looks like guelder rose to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered about them, but even though they can grow 4m long the stems aren't all that thick and the drupes are gone to mush with the frosts we've had ( I grow it in my garden) , whereas the guelders are still in fruit. The bittersweet drupes kindof , well, they droop, rather than staying round, too.
I know it's a kind of biased opinion, I didn't check books or what's likely to grow in Jon's area.

Up to you on this one Jon :rolleyes: Honeysuckle, guelder rose, bittersweet.....

cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I wondered about them, but even though they can grow 4m long the stems aren't all that thick and the drupes are gone to mush with the frosts we've had ( I grow it in my garden) , whereas the guelders are still in fruit. The bittersweet drupes kindof , well, they droop, rather than staying round, too.
I know it's a kind of biased opinion, I didn't check books or what's likely to grow in Jon's area.

Up to you on this one Jon :rolleyes: Honeysuckle, guelder rose, bittersweet.....

cheers,
Toddy

Can I phone a friend....:p It is not honeysuckle and it is certainly not bittersweet, I know them both.. I will go back and smell the fruit and see if its gluey and look at the dropped leaves..
Many thanks to you all for your contributions....I shall report back on this....

Btw,,,Shewie, bittersweet and woody nightshade are the same plant..Or did you mean to put both names and I am trying to teach you to suck eggs...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE