Tree ID please! More photos added!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Help please .....probably being stupid but I'm damned if I can think what this tree/nut is......dementia seems to be setting in already !
uploadfromtaptalk1403974419677.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It could be alder, but the leaves do seem to come to a point, which alder normally lacks. Alder was my first thought, but I'm not yet convinced. Does it have cones? Any fruit or seeds?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Just the young nuts in the PIC.......perhaps I'm not being as stupid as I thought :)..,,that's a relief!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like beech to me....does it have little brown withered bits under some of the leaves where they come out of the branches ? That's the remains of the overwintering buds.
Kind of rounded looking leaves though; it can be hard to get everything in the photo for ID.

M

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Looks like beech to me....does it have little brown withered bits under some of the leaves where they come out of the branches ? That's the remains of the overwintering buds.
Kind of rounded looking leaves though; it can be hard to get everything in the photo for ID.

M

Damn...looks as though I'm going to have to go up to the hills again Monday to take a few more pics and make further investigation Mary!
It is however reassuring that I was stumped....., could be a chance to try the new wood gas stove too.., :)

Thanks for all your help so far chaps.....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
We've got countless acres of Beechwoods hereabouts, and it sometimes seems to me that no two are the same; at a rough guess I'd say about one in five conforms to what's illustrated in most of the guides. If I was a betting man I'd lay good odds on that being Beech :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE