Tree ID (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Last one is sloes I think - hard to judge the size - but if its the size of a standard marble or a tiny bit bigger then its probably a sloe. A bite into it will be VERY astringent and confirming it as a sloe. If its sweet then it is some sort of bullace or damsom.

The second one is also some sort of small plum - most probably some sort of bullace, gage or damson again - it has more of a positive 'victoria plum' shape to it. It could even be an 'escapee'. The first pictured one is also a member of the prunus family. All three have prunus style leaves. I don't know of any poisonous equivalents that they could be mistaken for. But get a positive ID with a field guide before you do go chomping. Maybe someone else can add to this.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I'd agree with what's been said. I you're planning to risk a taste test, damson/bullace will ripen to a perhaps slightly tart but pleasant edibility where a sloe will always retain it's mouth puckering estringency.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
without some guage of size I would agree the last is a sloe the other 2 I cant see any tell tale thorns so look like bullace which are smaller than plums and more tart to the taste but still cook up as a tasty desert, chutney or preserve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE