Tree houses.Dunno how Bushcrafty this is!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Dunno if this is the correct place to make this post but what the hell,the mods will move it if not.

Anyway,tree houses I and two good mates made a cracker of a tree house as kids over one of our local haunts(Coppers pool) where we fished,plywood mainly and about 24 feet above ground witha trap door for the entrance.It was well made in a huge yew tree,may have to go see if anything is left of it some time.Anyone else make a tree house as kids???

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nothing that stood up to any use! I found that some of the more robust pines can have natural shelters and platforms already in them that require nothing to make them into a great climbing tree.

If there is anybody who hasn't climbed a tree since they were kids, then I urge you to throw caution to the wind and find yourself a good sturdy tree to climb up. Not in a Bear Grylls fashion, do it safely, but not all trussed up with a safety line and another safety safety line, etc! Relive your childhood, climbing trees like a chimp will always be one of my most fun pastimes!

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I revisited my old childhood haunts about six months ago, what a change over the 30 years.

The valley where we used to slide down the grass banks on sheets of cardboard, and dam up the stream with clay from the banks, is now covered in tightly packed birch trees, and the stream cannot be seen for the brambles.

The two old mills where we used to play 'hide and seek', and collect the lead nails from the slate roofs, have been turned into car parks for the visitors centre.

The disused stone quarry that we used to climb is now near completely covered in grafitti.

The old barn where we used to shelter if we got caught in a summer shower is now someones house.

The old Tarzan tree (a massive oak) has gone to the forest in the sky.

But.....

The old tunnel that we used to play in, using the old parafin roadworks lamps for light, has been the subject of an archealogical dig, mining truck tracks were found just inches below the ground we played on. It's now been grilled over to preserve it.

I enjoyed going back, and will go again this summer.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I had a great treehouse when I was a kid in the sycamore tree at the bottom of the garden. Basically a homemade shed in a tree.

It was great right up until a mate fell out of the tree and caught his nethers on a sticking out nail on the way down. Luckily, being a good cub scout I had a first aid kit to hand and was able to offer him 2 aspirins before we could get his mother to come and pick him up and have the Doc push everything back in and stitch his scrotum back together.

Looking back, I'm not sure those aspirins really helped. :D

I can't wait to move to a house with a bigger garden so my boys can have a treehouse too - much fun.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ouch! I reckon if my testicles were hanging out of my scrotum, being offered a couple of aspirins would have resulted in you being told exactly where you could stuff them! Did he get a nick name of any sort? :D

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i always dreamed of having a treehouse as a kid. but that was not my kind of childhood. mine was more along the lines of rock fights with the people the next street over, and running the gauntlet to the shop a few miles away without getting my head kicked in by the other estate kids and teenagers. oh joyful childhood memories. not.

looking around on google, i found this site.
http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/index.html
they have some very interesting treehouses. the craftwork is amazing.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
i always dreamed of having a treehouse as a kid. but that was not my kind of childhood. mine was more along the lines of rock fights with the people the next street over, and running the gauntlet to the shop a few miles away without getting my head kicked in by the other estate kids and teenagers. oh joyful childhood memories. not.

looking around on google, i found this site.
http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/index.html
they have some very interesting treehouses. the craftwork is amazing.
Mine was pretty similer,I gave my shair of pastings out and I got a couple too!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If there is anybody who hasn't climbed a tree since they were kids, then I urge you to throw caution to the wind and find yourself a good sturdy tree to climb up. Not in a Bear Grylls fashion, do it safely, but not all trussed up with a safety line and another safety safety line, etc! Relive your childhood, climbing trees like a chimp will always be one of my most fun pastimes!

There are folks doing this safe tree climbing as a business venture for corporate events/team building etc:rolleyes:
Can you still remember the adrenalin rush as your bowels felt like they'd disapeared, and you nearly filled your pants, if a branch broke under your weight when you were up there, and a second later you would have a cold sweat down the back of your neck :eek: :lmao: :lmao: and for a split second you thought is this it will I really fall and die :lmao: I used to jump out of trees whan I was about 7 or 8 trying to do parachute type landings I'd seen on telly, I remember the old boy next door gently but firmly talking me out of a leap out the tree into the beck, probably about 12 or 15 foot :rolleyes: It was a huge willow tree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE