tree felling question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
A picture says a thousand words. If no photo comes forth, I think you should take on site advice from a professional. Does the owner know of the danger? would they pay to have it felled? If there is any public access, they may have a duty of care. Not that you would want to pressure them - if they have done you a favor with access.

A picture says a thousand words. If no photo comes forth, I think you should take on site advice from a professional. Does the owner know of the danger? would they pay to have it felled? If there is any public access, they may have a duty of care. Not that you would want to pressure them - if they have done you a favor with access.

Photos not available for a couple more weeks when I'm up there next.
Its my godfathers woods and its not public access.
I'd rather not nobble him to pay for it and I suspect it'd be a case of him havin an amateur go (farmer so doesn't like spending if he can avoid it)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Correct, it's not. Beech is though ;) (But I've only ever seen one Beech tree shed a branch unexpectedly)

No, it's Ash. I've seen barber chair cuts that have finished at 14'. Imagine being next to it when that final bit of wood splits out. It'll knock your head off.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay...uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdneRsWyGtcc%26autoplay%3D1

Why is ash any more dangerous than any other tree please ?

Because it splits easily. Chestnut is a bit the same. But given the choice of bringing down a big Ash or a big Chestnut, I'd take the Chestnut anyday..

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No, it's Ash. I've seen barber chair cuts that have finished at 14'. Imagine being next to it when that final bit of wood splits out. It'll knock your head off.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay...uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdneRsWyGtcc%26autoplay%3D1

Another name for 'barber chairs' is 'widow makers and, as far as I'm aware, can happen to any tree. The video you've linked to is for an oak and ...

There is a dark side to Beeches, however; their shallow root structure makes them prone to falling over in high winds, and their habit of dropping massive and still living branches, particularly in times of stress or high rainfall, has earned them the dark nickname of ‘Widowmaker’.
Linky thing .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I was going to edit this in, a quick search shows that

So a case of we're both correct :D [/FONT][/COLOR]

In Devon the beech is known as the widow maker, for the afore mentioned explanation, although lots of aged or mature trees can do unpredictable things, particularly in high winds and after heavy rainfall.

Going back to the op, in my opinion the ash is the most difficult tree to fell, when under pressure leaning heavily or windblown certainly when mature, there are not many trees in this country you have to bore fell to reduce the risk of accident. (although sometimes more to preserve the value of the timber, so as it does not pull)

Ivan...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Classic quote from an American friend when observing a similar situation on a smallholding in Devon:

'That's easy, just wrap some det. cord round it.'

He seemed quite startled you couldn't just buy it at the local farm supplies shop (this was some years ago I might add, no doubt the US has tightened up on that sort of thing by now).
My initial comment of 1/2 stick of pe4 plus det cord was going to be tongue in cheek.(got a chance in Belgium, retreated far enough to avoid splinters).
fire to burn it apart was the next.
Safest was used a winch pulley combo with a long rope to ensure falling limbs.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Going back to the op, in my opinion the ash is the most difficult tree to fell, when under pressure leaning heavily or windblown certainly when mature, there are not many trees in this country you have to bore fell to reduce the risk of accident.

Without seeing it, what's your 'best guess' suggestion for dealing with a mostly cracked off at the base ash? I'm guessing that getting in there and cutting might not be amongst the smarter choices ~ I've not seen it either, but I'm due to ;)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Without seeing it, what's your 'best guess' suggestion for dealing with a mostly cracked off at the base ash? I'm guessing that getting in there and cutting might not be amongst the smarter choices ~ I've not seen it either, but I'm due to ;)

With respect, such a difficult one, even with a comprehensive set of photos to scale, and when you have not seen the thing come down, what other species it is hooked up in etc etc.

But with hearsay of it being an average mans thigh, at the base, with splintering most of the pressure appears to have gone in the fall, i would dearly love to see and help, but distance etc would make that foolish, as would blind advice, sorry if i can't help, but if anything where to go wrong because i offered anything, i would feel terrible.

Ivan...

The only thing i would say, is if the splintering and damage is less than knee height, i would consider felling it above the damage, either traditional dip and back cut or even bore if you know what you are doing.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> but distance etc would make that foolish, as would blind advice, sorry if i can't help,

All answers are helpful :D Even if you don't want to hear 'Run away and let it alone!', it's still a helpful answer :cool: . I suspect much discussion and many brews will be had before we drop it :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
An explanation of "barbers chair".

This is possible on many trees, some more prone than others. Leaning trees, or those with stress in the timber are dangerous.

In days gone by, felling was done with a crosscut saw by one or two people. The cut was put in from the back until the tree fell, sometimes splitting way up the trunk leaving a long section of uncut wood sticking up, and the butt doing uncontrollable stuff. Without a directional gob, mouth, sink etc (the wedge cut from the front), this is a dangerous way to fell. Chainsaws have made this much easier to do.

I know I posted an Oak barber chairing, any wood under stress can do it. I've found the Ash an unfriendly tree to work with in general, Chestnut leaners have batted the saw from my hands. Ash as the widow maker does seem to be Sussex, I'd suggest it's regional due to soil type, though we have a majority of Beech here. Whatever, barber chairs shouldn't occur in these modern days.

Experience is generally something you need just before you experience it ;)

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Can be done both easy and safely - just with the help of a strong rope of sufficient lenght.

Tie the strong rope on to the tree. As high as possible. Shoot a small line over a high branch with an arrow or slingshot and pull a heavier rope over.

Rope should be considerably longer than the height of the tree in question.

Attach rope to one or several strong trees in the direction of the half-felled tree. Construct a spanish windlass of two straight pieces of timber/wood near the anchor-point.

The lever in the windlass should be 3 to 5 meters long. The generated pull will be several tonnes.

MAKE SURE that you are well out of reach of the falling tree. At least twice its height!

Turn the spanish windlass and slowly bring the tree down.

You could use a kochanski winch for the same purpose, but I would prefer the spanish windlass as the kochanski stores an awful lot of energy and can be quite deadly if you suddenly let go. The spanish windlass stores equally amount of energy, but is much more predictable if things go wrong. Downside is that it takes longer to construct.

Even quite big and stubborn trees can be pulled down this way. Same method can be used for pulling stumps out of the ground. Did a lot of such improvised riggings earlier when I cleared a bit of forrest at my smallholding. Nowadays I just start the bulldozer...

//Kim Horsevad

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have pulled a partially fallen tree (a sycamore) out of the ground using my Landrover's Hi-Lift jack, in much the same way that one might use one to pull a vehicle out of a ditch. Straps, rope and the jack are all you'd need to walk in and you'd be able to keep yourself a good distance from any danger while you pump the lever.

:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have pulled a partially fallen tree (a sycamore) out of the ground using my Landrover's Hi-Lift jack, in much the same way that one might use one to pull a vehicle out of a ditch. Straps, rope and the jack are all you'd need to walk in and you'd be able to keep yourself a good distance from any danger while you pump the lever.

:)

You've given me an idea with that suggestion.

I just have to check I've got the necessary bits still to do what I'm thinking of :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE