Travelling advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have alot of free time and am hoping to go off travelling for a 6 months come June/July. I'd really like to get off the beaten track, rural locations nothing too commercial.

I would ideally like to see thailand, vietnam, new zealand. I just don't want to be part of the whole gap year crowd though. I am hoping to go alone, and would love chances to indulge in bushcrafty things!

Where are some of the most beautiful places you guys have been, any recomendations?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would suggest Nepal. I've been there twice and on both ocassions I organised my own travel, no guide and stayed in Lodges run by local people. You really get to see how life can be lived simply and honestly and there are a huge amount of skills they still use every day that we have lost or given up. Grinding corn by hand or simple water mill, making bamboo work baskets using only skill and a kukri, cooking over open fires daily, growing their own food and lots more. :)

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I spent a deliciously isolated week or two on Great Barrier Island, NZ. Having just googled it for a link - it doesnt seem quite so isolated as it once was..... :confused:

Throughout NZ's walking regions there are numerous trails with huts sprinkled along the way. These used to be free to stay overnight, I presume they still are..? I guess they're a bit like Scotlands bothy's. You'll be well off the beaten track and have an amazing amount of resources at hand. It is a fab country, just beautiful, so do ensure you have enough time there :rolleyes: Canada is supposed to be very similar to NZ, it may be worth looking into getting a stopover there :cool:

Indonesia, Thailand, Nepal & Malaysia are all lovely too, but for different reasons.

Wherever you go enjoy it, learn from it and you'll come back a changed person.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I would definately go to NZ, i spent 6 weeks there in my gap year, canada is another great wilderness, thailand etc, depends how you want to live and what you want to see.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
I am definately going to see, nz, aus, thailand, hopefully canada (am actually thinking of buggering off to canada when I finish my P.h.d, as i'd be able to get a visa quite easily)

Does anyone have any specifc places of interest/trails, experiences?? As they are all pretty big countries. :)

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE