Travel to Woodlore Journeyman Course?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I'm booked on the Woodlore Journeyman Course in September this year. Being ever the one for forward planning, I'm starting to plot and plan for the course. Being as It's some 700-odd miles away from home (Guildford, Surrey), can anyone who's done it over the past couple of years comment on how they got there, particularly from the Home Counties?

Dundee looks to be the closest airport, but apparently there are no flights there from Heathrow, Stanstead or Gatwick!

I guess I could drive up over a couple of days, or do a 10 hour train trip! :eek:

Any suggestions?

Yeoman

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I haven't been on the course, but its up in Scotland right? I can see is in Perthshire, but where exactly is it?

Anyway, what about the Caledonian Sleeper train? You could get a train into London and then go from Euston. that way you can do your travelling while you're asleep!

You can get 'Bargain Berths' from £19 each way, I'm planning to do a short trip later on in the year and gonna do it this way - travelling time won't cut into my play time this way - I can get the train after work..

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/content/caledoniansleeper/index.php

Feb 10, 2007
London
Yeoman,
Have you checked if there are flights from London City Airport? If there are then you could travel from Guildford to Waterloo, jump on to the Jubilee Line on the tube to Canning Town and then take the Docklands Light Railway to the airport. Waterloo to London City Airport should take not much more than 45 minutes.

Hope this helps.

All the best....Paul

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Thanks for the tips guys! The London City Airport option never occurred to me! The Sleeper service could be a winner too. ZZZZzzzzzz

Yeoman

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Another consideration is that you'll more than likely be a wee bit tired after the course, so driving might not be the best option. Train is easy down to London. It's only about 1.5 hours from Perth to Edinburgh and then 4.5 hours from Edinburgh to London. Some trains go direct.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Ahjno said:
Have a shower after the course ;)
The guy next to me in the Eurostar wasn't very well pleased ... spoilsport ... :rolleyes:

I plan to have a couple of days up there after the course doing the tourist bit, so hopefully after a couple of nights of hotel luxury, I'll be a bit less fragrant!

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
What a great idea Dave. Might have to suggest to the Mrs she meets me up there after the trip for a few days.

Went to the isle of Sky last year and it was GORGEOUS!

Stayed here

and it was FAB!

Whatever you do, have a great time! :D

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
one of the lads of our course went up and up from the centre of town is a well known Hill/mountain can't remeber its name and bivied up for the night he was on his chinstrap well before any one else and he had planned to do the same before he went home but shelled out for a night in the local town.. poor sod and echo rest you will stink as like the fundamental for days after. but great experince.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Surrey Yeoman said:
Hi Phil,

...........Thought you were "Drowning in the Ardeche?"

Back so soon? Or haven't you been yet?

LOL! About to go (next week in fact!) and booked on the journeyman 2008!!

Couldn't really justify to the Mrs on going on TWO Woodlore courses in the same year!!!

Hope you're keeping well!!

Phil

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Yeoman
I haven't done it either but I did note in previous years that it was held near Dunkeld. Dunkeld has its own train station and is about 20 mins north of Perth.
If Woodlore are using the same area's the sleeper might be a good option?
Ta Ed

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Thanks for all the tips.

In the end, I've decided to drive up after all. TomTom tells me that it's about 500 miles from home to Dunkeld, which is a distance I feel happy to drive in a day. I plan to leave early hours of the morning, around 0400hrs to be away from the M25/London area before the peak hours and take a couple of extended meal/wee breaks on the way up and back.

I'll probably be going up on the Friday and having a couple of nights in a B&B prior to the course and a couple after it as well to get some proper sleep and do the tourist bit!

Anyone else doing the course this year 16th - 22nd Sept?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE