Travel light in the cold?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh guys and gals,
I know this type of thread has been done umpteen times before, but I have question for y'all. Its about this time of year that my camping season starts, im probably crazy but I find it more gratifying to hike and camp with noone else around... Even if it will freeze the provebials of a brass monkey. Anyway here's my querie: Obviously winter camping requires more gear than summer camping (im not talking tents here, tarps and bivvie bags are my er... bag) but I always end up taking stuff I never use. I usually justify this by saying it could come in handy etc. But I always end up cursing my self when Im up to my waist in a freezing bog, etc.
What is the minimum amount of stuff you need for winter camping and does it need to differ from summer camping but more layers?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Well, in the infamous book 'bushcraft' by the infamous athour Mors Kochansky (yeah yeah, spelling..), he suggest that a pot and an axe is enough. Try that for a challenge.

:D

Winter kit depends heavily, as always, on the circumstances. Snow, bare-ground, rain or sleet? As long as you have decent clothing, a good shelter, means of cooking and an efficient way of transport (shoes, skis, canoe, whatever) the kit doesn't have to change so much. Warmer clothes and a thicker sleeping bag should be enough.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
To stay warm there are three options:
- Carry a good sleeping bag.
- Make a snow shelter.
- Make a big fire with a regular shelter.

Or hybrids between these.

Ergo there is a situation where there is no option except carrying a sleeping bag (or similar alternatives): The high mountains (lots of my country goes into that category) or tundra after the deep frost, but prior to the snow.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi Copper Head

I guess as the other lads have said - a good sleeping bag / sound fire / sound shelter are the basics. And Mors' comment of a pot and an axe is about the minimum you really need - depending on the kind of terrain/environment you find yourself in.

My kit doesn't change much for winter in that I still have the same basic requirements, but I have warmer sleeping bag and a german army winter parka which I swap out for their lighter equivalents when I'm in the woods. If the terrain was more exposed/mountainous I may tweak it to suit better for more changeable weather conditions. The main thing I find is to make every item of kit count, make-do and mend where I need to; and try to find items that are multi-function. I am surprising myself with the "luxuries" that I can do without. I also tend to say "I have a 65litre rucsac and I an't carrying no more!" - if that helps?

all the best

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
My sleeping bag and the midlayer is different in winter,more food, more fuel;
Things I need in winter/cold environment only:
-mittens
-shoulder straps for CamelBak (to carry it under the clothes)
-saw (for frozen wood)
-small shoebrush (to clean the clothes from snow)
-face mask
-sleeping bag socks
(and in case you do not carry goggles: I find them quite useful in snowstorms)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I went camping with a friend recently and was amazed at the amount of stuff he carried. He said it was born of experience! His maxim for winter camping is 'Travel light, freeze at night' In some ways I agree with him. If you don't get a good nights sleep you won't fully enjoy the next day. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I agree with Rod - carry a big rucksack and you're bound to fill it with things you 'might' find necessary. I find that a warmer sleeping bag, an extra mid layer and gloves/mitts and a woolly hat are the only real changes I make to my winter packing. In camp, move your mat/reindeer skin a bit closer to the fire, pre-heat your plate/bowl to make sure the food stays hotter for longer and, as far as possible, keep dry. The damp/wet will make you feel really cold. If slaving in the hills, about twenty minutes before you arrive at your intended camp site, slow your pace of walking - it will allow your body heat to dry out any clothing and reduce the amount of perspiration you produce, keeping you drier. There are other general pointers such as being fit, well-rested and well-fed which will allow you to carry less clobber but you know all these anyway.

Reactions: Toddy

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Rain/wind pants to keep the snow/wet from your bottom and some High calorie quick burning fuel for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE