Travel advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2022
United states
I am planning a holiday around Christmas - the beginning of January. 2-4 weeks is my goal. I was thinking Scotland. Somewhere I can go and be alone in my thoughts with time to heal. My mother recently passed away and I am on my own. I am in my 20s and healthy so I don't mind a hiking journey. I love riding horses as well. I am a deeply devoted catholic and love the sea. Any advice?

I was thinking a bothie near a very old catholic church in a small town and maybe a lake or the ocean not far from it. No big cities or high population. Even a rural airbnb will be fine

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am sorry to hear about your Mum. I don't care what age someone is but to lose your Mum is a sore thing.

Christmas in Scotland is an odd time. It's for some heaven knows why reason, a touristy time, and that makes it expensive for hotels, B&B's. But, the caveat is that much of the tourist provision is shut for the season so there's nothing open, not even pubs in many rural areas.

Bothies, which are free, are generally full on though because the natives are on holiday and many of them take to the hills. So, those are inclined to be crowded over Christmas and New Year, especially if there's dry weather or snow.

There's also the point that there is (if you're lucky) eight hours of daylight at that time of year. It's a long time to sit in the dark, if I make myself clear.

I feel as though I'm being terribly off-putting, and that's not intentional.
I think best advice would be to look at places such as Comriecroft (in Perthshire) or Red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe. Both are accessible, both are sites folks on the forum know and like, and the staff at both sites are both helpful and welcoming.

I'd say the islands, but you can't guarantee the weather, especially in Winter, and that means you can't guarantee the ferries, so I'd say stick to the mainland or Skye (bridge across). Depends on how much time you have, the ferries will run, eventually.

If you want to go further north, maybe speak to Ian Deveney, https://www.invernesscustomtours.com/ian-deveney
Ian's sound, and has a wealth of information and connections right across Scotland.

Reactions: wookii and SaraR

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Journey to Iona. At that time of the year it will be windswept and interesting. If you are at all religious it is an experience. I'm not and it is a special place to be and to get to.

Perhaps make contact with the Island to see about accommodation as a sort of pilgrim?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In more remote areas though, like up here :) automatic cars are a rarity. They cost more to hire and you really need to book one well ahead of time.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I worked for a Brit mechanic. He dropped off a old Jaguar saloon for tyres. We get a call, Jaguar won’t start. We figure it may be Lucas, Lord of darkness. I pop over. They have drowned the SUs in starter fluid. I climb in, press the STARTER button
And rewarded with a bang as it cleared the fluid. I climb out. Tyre guy gets in. It’s RHD and he sits staring at the plainly marked H pattern gearshift. I sorted that out.
He never saw a fly off brake release.
Suddenly, it’s his lunch break. He hops into his 60s muscle car and peels out. His coworkers explain ‘ he’s a really good driver.’
Back to subject- do any monasteries accept visitors in retreat?

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
What toddy said is great advice. I’d stay away from the islands at that time of year due to the weather and erratic ferry sailings.

The far north west coast will be closed and there’s few Catholic Churches. Far north east coast would be better for all amenities, accommodation, shopping, access etc. Come to the Kyle of Sutherland it’s awesome. Plenty of horse riding stables around. We have 6 ponies if you want to come ‘hug a horse’.

Reactions: wookii and Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A bit left field but Dumfries and Galloway might suit. Far south western Scotland with a few old monasteries and still standing churches. No idea if any Catholic though.

Kirkcudbright is a really nice town imho with a small port, castle, nice old church and a real community spirit. However my advice is forget Xmas there and go on the Halloween weekend.

We found out by pure luck when we booked a holiday let house just down a side street from the centre on Halloween weekend. Our then 4 or 5 year old son had an amazing weekend break with the Halloween trail and next day art market. It's a town known for artists living, working and displaying I galleries there. Decent places for food too.

Castle Douglas has a nice feel to its high street too but not as nice to stay at imho.

If you're not fixed on Scotland I can heartily recommend Cumbria and the Lake District. For an alternative for that part of England try the Western ports such as Maryport or Whitehaven. The latter has a bit of history with Americans!

John Paul Jones

BTW I'm biased to Cumbria living in the south of the county.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nearly forgot, there's a riding centre on the western Cumbrian coast famous for its British heavies. Have you ever ridden a true heavy work horse? Think shire horses. Apparently they're not as slow and cumbersome as you'd think, actually a nice ride I heard. Plus a ride through the sea is good for them and the centre has the inland routes to explore by horse. I think one does inland tours but no real idea about that.

Clydesdales, Shires, Suffolk Punches and English Percherons. Amazing and a different experience to ride I reckon.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'd suggest finding a Catholic church that will be open and having services during Christmas and then book an Air BnB in that town or a nearby village (check that they have a shop and that buses will be running etc). That way you have somewhere safe to stay and everything you need close to home even if the weather turns bad. You can then do day trips or even overnight trips from that base, without bringing everything with you.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE