Trapping pigeons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
torjusg said:

The first one listed, which we refer to as a "yank up," and the figure four deadfall is we used to use when I was a kid. The "noosing wand" is what you use to get roosting grouse, but ours were a bit more simplistic than the depiction, simply a round wire noose through a hole on the end of the stick. It is all in the technique, you can't hesitate.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
demographic said:
I read somewhere a rather strange procedure involving pigeons...

Push a beer bottle (top first) into soft earth.
Waggle it around to widen the hole
Remove it from the hole then sprinkle grain around it and then sprinkle some grain right into the hole.

Now, I have never tried this as to me it sounds slightly far fetched but aparently the pidgeon spots the grain, eats the stuff round the hole then after its finished that it tries to get the stuff in the bottom of the hole (the narrow part that the neck of the bottle made) and in trying to get it falls into the hole and becomes trapped.

Can anyone throw some light onto this methods success rate?
I know PJs are pretty thick but surely that can't be that gormless can they :confused:

Somewhat similar, we used to do pheasent quite often using a six inch piece of stove pipe with an elbow on the end. One job I was on, working construction, we had pheasent for dinner almost every day. After we caught and dressed them, we would put them in a large piece of pipe and heat it with a blow torch to roast it.

The trapping consisted of laying a trail of corn into the stove pipe, the pheasent would follow the corn, but couldn't make the 90 degree turn through the elbow. He also could not back up because of how his feathers lay.

There were so many pheasent in that area I brought quite a few home and put them in the freezer.

I wonder if, with a four inch or three inch pipe - this might work for pigeons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE