Trap building

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lacijag1

Forager
I thought it is a good idea to practice a little bit of trap building. Never know when will u need one:)
So I went out to the local woods and built this trap:

[video=youtube;i1kxx4Oixjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1kxx4Oixjo&index=1&list=PLRMS9rkv8u3sePy7W4kO32BZ XfRKid3D9[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacijag1

Forager
what would you trap with it ?

well it is a baited trap, u can put all kind of bait on it depend on what ur after. i would use it to catch small to mid size predators. but u can try to catch rabbits, badgers or basically anything that goes for the bait. just make sure the branch where the trigger is attached to is strong enough to hold the animal and keep it high enough off the ground so it can't escape.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just a suggestion for anyone intending to practice these , with any suspension / spring type trap I'd always suggest wearing some safety specs/ googles when experimenting with these , very easy to set off ( by accident whilst 'tweaking' ) a hair trigger and spike your face.

Remember a trap is basically an engine and a trigger and it doesn't discriminate once in motion.

I did attend a bushcraft course once and very nearly witnessed one of the instructors nearly brain themselves after setting the trap off for a second time but forgetting that they were sat directly under the drop zone of the counter-weight... lol!

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Thanks for posting that. I think you'd need to think about making the target animal come from the right direction or alter the noose/snare such that it'd capture the animal regardless of the direction it approached the trap. Maybe a bigger noose on the ground?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thanks for posting that. I think you'd need to think about making the target animal come from the right direction or alter the noose/snare such that it'd capture the animal regardless of the direction it approached the trap. Maybe a bigger noose on the ground?

"Funneling" would achieve that but i think the OP left it out of shot as it may confuse somewhat.

Lacijag1

Forager

Yeah I actually forgot to mention that in the video u have to block the back of the trap. It only works if the animal comes from the front where the snare is. Or u can put snares on both sides but I rather just block the back of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE