Trangia stove pot rest mod version 2

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I saw a post of Shewies for a pot stand made from mesh so thought I would give it a go. Went to B&Q for some mesh but they did not have any! On my way out I spotted one of these...it's the third one and is a nut silo peanut feeder...

http://search.diy.com/search#?p=Q&s...81970&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&srt=24

I went back to my van and got my Trangia stove and had a play in the store. Things fitted well so I bought one.

I had a bit of a think and came up with 4 designs ranging from heavy and stable to light and a little less stable....

001-10.jpg

The heaviest was made from the base of the feeder. I turned it upside down and punched the three cage retaining lugs to the opposite side. I used one end of the cage for this one. Now the stove fits perfectly through the cage base ring and sits like it was factory made into the base. After some fiddling with the lugs the cage twists on and holds tight and the rest sits about 1 inch above the burner hole...

004-6.jpg

002-11.jpg

Next came a less heavy design using the other end of the cage. I got the feeder lid and removed the spot welds and pulled the metal ring off that connected the cage to the lid. The hole needed enlarging slightly and I did this first with a file then finished with sandpaper to get a good snug fit. The rest sits about 30mm from the burner hole on this one.

No alteration of the lugs were needed on this one....

005-6.jpg

003-10.jpg

Now I had chopped the two ends of the cage off I had enough left to make two more stands. The next stand was a light weight simple cage tube that still was very stable as it rested on the ground and not the stove and again this one sits about 1 inch from the burner hole....

006-5.jpg

The last bit left was made into an ultra light pot rest. I broke off a couple of rings and folded the vertical metal wires around and inside the tube. The length of metal from taking off two rings turned out to be perfect and the pot rest slid onto the stove and stays put nicely as the wires catch on the threaded part. This version has the mesh rim about 10mm from the burner hole as there wasn't enough left to make it higher.
My attempt is a bit messy and some of the wire prongs don't touch the stove through bad folding and also several snappages!

This pot stand is stable enough considering it's size and weight and I boiled up a Trangia kettle on it just fine...

007-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

From the pics you can see I folded the rims over to strengthen and neaten it all up. A tiny set of needle nose plyers were very good for this job and I used a pair of small side cutters to cut the wire.
I worry how the steel mesh will hold up to being heated over and over, the wire is thin but the cage tubes are quite solid. The mesh connections where two wires meet can break so a little care is needed when making these up. After three boils on one of the rests all is well and I will have to see how long they last?

I also cut up some pop cans for wind shield use and they fit tight round the mesh tubes with about 1.5-2" gap on one side. The boil time with shield was just over 8 minutes for about 1 pint. Taking the shield and moving it a little further from the stove reduced the boil time a lot as the extra air allowed the flame to burn better.

Well hope you like version 2 of the Trangia stove pot rest. I'm hoping one of these rests plus stove will fit into the MSR Titan cup and kettle I'm planning on getting but that is a post for another time when I have £70 odd squid spare:eek:

ATB,

Steve.

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I like the little one, though would probably take some extra tent pegs to pop around it to give a bit of stability, should it get knocked or the wind get up.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Nice work, just be careful that the mesh isn't galvanised as heating it gives off death rays or something

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE