Trangia Sizing

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I bought a second hand trangia on ebay which cleaned up very nicely and works fine. I want to buy a kettle for it, trouble is I don't know what size (series number) it si and don't know what size of kettle to buy. Any trang experts know how I can tell what series No. of Trangia I have?

PS It seems to be an old model because the simmer ring isn't like the ones on the present model which have a sliding disc to dampen the flame. This one has a kind of flip over lid with a hole in it that blocks all of the jets leaving the central resevoir burning. Works fine though! First Trangia, love it!

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
According to Trangia.se the smaller 27 series has the following dimensions: 18,5 x 10 cm and the larger 25 series 22 x 10,5 cm. So you can just measure the size of fe the frying pan.
The kettle you want to buy:
Nr 200324 Kettle for stove series 25, low model. 0.9 litre. Weight 190 g.
Nr 200325 Kettle for stove series 27, low model. 0.6 litre. Weight 140 g.
I don't know of any kettle for the military (oval) trangia, but I assume you've got one of the shiny civilian versions?

I love my trangia 27 but I don't think I'd add a kettle since using the frying pan as a lid on one of the cooking pots does the trick for me, what's your reason to want a kettle which adds more weight if I may ask? (always possible I didn't think of some great advantage eh)
Enjoy your new toy! :)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Lasse2, brilliant! Thanks a lot for that. I haven't made any great kettle discovery. I just want to take my trangia to the beach to make tea. I could just take a flask but where's the fun in that?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
One thing with the trangia kettles that i found out is to keep the handle in the upright position as it tends to burn the plastic off the handle and stick to your fingers. I found out the hard way and still have the fingerprint on the handle to prove it.lol
Brilliant bit of kit, i converted mine to gas with a drill and a file and used an alpine stove for the burner. Burner slides around a bit but cheaper than the trangia one.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Thanks for the tip mate. Might wrap it in string just in case. By converting a Trangia to gas are you just taling advantage of its windshielding properties?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE