Trangia pot rest mod

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well I finally received my Trangia from Amazon and thought I needed to make a compact pot rest. After several non ideas I came up with a rest made from an old airgun pellet tin.

The stove slides perfectly into the tin with enough resistance to stop it from falling out without pulling.

I used a 50mm hole cutter to drill the base of the tin then used a ream tool and sandpaper to enlarge it enough so that the tin screws onto the stoves threaded top part and is held there firmly.

The lid of the tin fits lovely over the end of the tin I drilled out and makes a handy little compartment about 10mm deep. I suppose this could be for the matches.

some pics...

001-6.jpg

004-4.jpg

002-8.jpg

005-4.jpg

003-7.jpg

One thing I am unsure of is how many air holes and the size and position of them I will need and any help before I start drilling would be cool.

ATB,

Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a neat idea Steve

I'd probably go for about a dozen 5mm holes spaced evenly around the bottom and the top. If you've got a couple of spares lying about I'd try a few different configurations and see which works best.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
That's a neat idea Steve

I'd probably go for about a dozen 5mm holes spaced evenly around the bottom and the top. If you've got a couple of spares lying about I'd try a few different configurations and see which works best.

Neat job, I would go with Shewie's idea. holes 3/4 the way round might give you a bit of a wind break?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I only have one tin as it is one I found from the early 90's and don't want to ruin it. I tried several of my newer tins but they didn't fit so well.

I will try drilling top and bottom but only half way around first.

If I did drill all the way round would I still get some wind protection, not talking storm proof here but general wind? Having not used a meths stove before I don't know their limitations yet.

Thanks,

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Went ahead and drilled a few holes all the way round and gave it a bit of a rub with wet and dry and some polish.

004-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

Hope you like, still have not tried it out as I seem to have no meths at the moment.

Steve.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Very nice! Pity that all the newer pellet tins I've seen are shallower than this type though...

I've often thought it would be handy to get a second burner for my Trangia with some sort of pot mount like this to let me keep one pan warm while the other one is on the cooker proper, or even cook both at once, a lot of dishes involve boiling rice/pasta/potatoes etc in one pan whilst cooking meat and veg in the other and it'd be a lot quicker with summat like this on the side.

Guess I need to get to the shed and find myself some old cans to hack up too :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Had to go back to the drawing board:rolleyes:

First I had to enlarge the holes as the first time I sat the kettle on the rest the flame was struggling to stay alight.

I found some meths and did a boil test with a small kettle. The results with the kettle sat on my pellet tin rest were poor. 500mL of water took 14 minutes to bubble but didn't get to a rolling boil. My thermometer read ~75-80 degrees c.

However for simmering this set up would be fine...

002-10.jpg

So I had a think and came up with this contraption...

003-9.jpg

It is 4 lugs from electrical backboxes expertly:lmao: brazed on and some matching 3.5mm elecy screws inserted.(one screws appears to be missing but is behind the screw on the right).

Now we were cooking!! This extra height and extra air I suppose gave a bigger but yellow flame and boiled the water in about 6 minutes to a 100 degree c rolling boil. I can still simmer by resting the tin lid on top and the flame goes back to like in pic 1.

It still all packs down like before and I keep the screws and a little book of matches inside the tin.

Well it ain't the prettiest thing but it now works, cost nowt and saved me from daytime TV for an hour or so!

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I will need some sort of wind shield though as I thought the tin would offer some protection but the flame is easily blown about still.

I am impressed by the heat output and burn time of these alcohol stoves and for something that fits in a pocket is a great little cooker. My Esbit hexi stove is more compact and lighter and OK for brews but for proper cooking the Trangia will be my go to compact stove.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE