Trangia fuel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nothing liquid wise, it's designed to be used with meths.

You could use hexi blocks but the might bu99er it up

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've got a hexy stove so there's no probs there. - I was just curious to see if there was anything else that could be used in place of meths.

cheers

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Generally meths burners are alcohol burners,so really speaking you could use brandy,whiskey or rum:yikes:.Probably cheaper to use meths though.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Methanol works just fine, ask around locally, I got 25 litres for £18 IIRC, lot of taxi drivers use it to make bio diesel.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try the rubbing alcohol 97 % or more, i have used methanol from my bio fuel days, that was 99.7 % it worked ok but the purpal meths is better, you seem to get a more blue flame...

meths is ethanol + methanol mixed, it seems to work best is a fair price and easy to get hold of, however if its cost your worried about methanol can be obtained for around 40p - 50p a litre, the more you get the cheaper it is, i payed £80 for 205 litres at 99.7 % alcohol, i thought it was a good price but did go and pick it up (used the work van and fuel though.....lol...)

hope this helps.

chris............

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Actually as daft as it sounds I was curious to know what could be used in a TEOTWAKI type scenario. Got the thought in my head and thought it best to find out.

cheers lads

Andy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well at a guess i would say you could use diesel, white spirit, any alcohol with 40% or more should burn ok, an oil and alcohol mix, i would NEVER use petrol though, its a bit to dangerous for an open type fire/stove...........oil on its own would burn but would be a poor fuel, and need alot of pre heating.....

is this more what you wanted to know Mac???????

chris........

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yeah pretty much Lanny - cheers mate.

It was one of those scratch that itch type questions.

All the best

Andy

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Actually as daft as it sounds I was curious to know what could be used in a TEOTWAKI type scenario. Got the thought in my head and thought it best to find out.

cheers lads

Andy

i have the same itch mate ,....

i buy a bottle of meths every other week when i go down the market wi Mrs R,...

i buy a 5 kg??gas bottle every now and then too,....(we tent camp in the summer so use one a year)

i have 4 gasbottles and about 12 bottles of meths in the garage store now,....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No, stick to alcohol based fuel, diesel and the like will gum up the works, paraffin is no good in them either. End of the world stuff get an Omnifuel, burns anything pretty much but again jets get blocked so the stove becomes more high matainence. I can get cooking oil to work in some pressure stoves but would not dream of doing it unless I wanted to sit there cleaning the stove after. Alcohol stoves are what they are, alcohol stoves, so if it ain't broke don't fix it as they say Mac.

I buy different brands of fuel and experiment, I know that B&M Flamefeast and Wilkinson BBQ fluid are in fact clear paraffin, I also know that wilko turps bunged up one of my stoves in minutes. Let idiots like me who have a tump of stoves play and you keep your few simple, safe and working.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys - all much appreciated.

I'll stick to the alcohol fuel. I doubt I'll ever need to use anything but meths in the thing but knowledge weighs nothing so I'd rather know than not. :D
I tend to use the alcohol stove over my hexy stove when out and about these days. - The trangia is a great bit of kit :D

Atb
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE