Trangia fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi

Has anyone yet discovered an alternative fuel other then meths for the sweedish trangia?.

Any comments are appreciated....

Don

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
If it's the soot on the bottom of your billy that you want to avoid you can just add a little drop of water to it - dont know why but seems to work for me.......

exped.equip.

Sep 30, 2007
Glos.
If it's the soot on the bottom of your billy that you want to avoid you can just add a little drop of water to it - dont know why but seems to work for me.......

It certainly does work,the mix is 10% water which you can mix before going out.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hungarian Moonshine worked well in my trangia and with little soot!
It was better in the stove than in the mouth!:yuck:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not really, they are designed to burn meths/alcohol. You can dilute a little, but this only means it will take longer to boil a brew, so best just to live with a little soot, it won't kill you

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had some tins of Greenheat given me for review.
These tins were designed for use with Trangia stoves, replacing the burners.
What a disapointment they were! They took forever to boil water in even the kindest conditions and IMHO were a total waste of space.
Meths or Hungarian Moonshire are the only fuels that I have found work in Trangias!

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Denaturated alcohol works too.
Either to use on its own or mix it with meths 90/10 (meths/alcohol).
On its own its a bit iffy to work with, so I've normally used it for the mixture. Does a fair job of keeping the soot of your pots.

/ Karl

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
What a disapointment they were! They took forever to boil water in even the kindest conditions and IMHO were a total waste of space.
Meths or Hungarian Moonshire are the only fuels that I have found work in Trangias!

Thanks for that you've just saved me £4... and ruined my hopes of eco friendly dining :(

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Meths/alcohol IS carbon neutral........isn't it

Hydrocarbons (like propain, petrol &c ) isn't

I'll stick to wood, charcoal and paperlogs I think.....mind you, those things aren't very easy to use just to brewup on the march

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

My mate was asked to try this stuff (Greenheat) by a local outdoor store when he was canoeing and he thought it was rubbish too.

Alf

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Spar Brandy works well. It should have a label, 'Not For Consumption'. :eek:

White Spirit works but is sooty. The girl in the shop had bagged it up instead of meths and I was too far to take it back when I noticed.:eek:

According to a sales guy in cotswold, the Green Heat Gel seems to be aimed at scouts cooking with trangias as it does not spill, making it safer to use.

Stu

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
"It is a renewable energy source"

Shewie, that website is inaccurate, at least from the first paragraph. Ethanol in meths is not renewable.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I don't think it is innaccurate, "ethanol, is produced by the fermentation of sugars"; sounds pretty renewable to me, grow sugar crop, ferment sugars, compost waste, grow more sugar crop. Unless of course the ethanol you are talking about is produced by "direct synthesis from ethylene" in which case you'd be right as ethylene is produced by the petrochemical industry. Question is how'd you know which you've got, seem to me it's as easy to make it by fermentation as by synthesis.

By the way Greenheat is just an ethanol/water mix with a gelling agent, other companies sell the same stuff for firebowls for use on decking etc. that stuff leaves a crusty white residue though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I know two stove collectors from Norway, they have a still to make alcohol, some they drink and some they use as fuel in stoves hic. I'm told it tastes a lot better than pine needle tea:cool:

Like John, I was given some packs of green heat, utter rubbish it is too, might be OK in your FAK to sterilize your hands with I guess

10 ml calcium acetate powder, 40 ml water(i think), + 20ml ethanol = same as greenheat.
Oh, you could add dye, and make purpleheat, or ultraviolet heat, or whatever else you want.

With the right quantity of water added to calcium acetate, ethanol will gel instantly. Its pretty cool, actually.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE