Trangia fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
10 ml calcium acetate powder, 40 ml water(i think), + 20ml ethanol = same as greenheat.
Oh, you could add dye, and make purpleheat, or ultraviolet heat, or whatever else you want.

With the right quantity of water added to calcium acetate, ethanol will gel instantly. Its pretty cool, actually.

cheers :cool: your post inspired me to find this slightly OT link ...

http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/flamecolors.htm

mrstorey

Forager
I've used 'alcool a bruler', which is the French equivalent. It's clear in colour, and less full of crud. The result is a more efficient, less sooty flame.

If there was some way of removing the impurities from UK meths, it'd surely burn better. Anyone tried using carbon filters, fuller's earth or distilling to remove any impurities?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
mrstorey, the hobos around here buy activated carbon and swoosh it around in denaturated ethanol (which is the most common fuel for trangias here although a meth/ethanol mix is really better suited), then they filter it and it is supposed to free of additives (at least they don't seem to get sick from drinking it). It is also quite clear after the carbon treatment, as opposed to the suspiscious purlpeish colour it has in the bottle.

May that's a way to go?

ps. Paleohuntergatherer, how about that for hobo-bushcraft? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE