Trangia Conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Something I did a while ago and have finally gotten around to posting.

I'm a great fan of Tragnias and the times I've used gas burners I've been frustrated by the silly bit of tin windshields. I've seen pictures if a Primus burner that fits the Trangia base, but never tracked down somewhere that sells them.

So, just after last christmas I bought a Primus Omnifuel stove. With local gear shop discount, £80 :) . The same day I pulled the burner apart. I tried the stove as standard and got shirty with the 'silly bit of tin' windshield.

This is what I came up with;

Primgia2.jpg

and in place;

Primgia1.jpg

Basically, a circular aluminum plate with a hole to match the bottom of the burner in the centre and three 2.5mm holes equidistant around 10mm from the edge. In each hole there is a length of M3 studding. On each stud is a brass tube of about 6mm OD with an M3 nut, turned down to fit inside the tube, in each end. Initially I used M3 nuts which were hopelessly fiddly. I was going to glue nuts on to aluminium bar, but I came up with these instead;

Primgia3.jpg

Hideously tarty, but I have a mill that I'm still learning how to use!

It has had a couple of trips. Much quicker than Methyl burning tragnias. To be honest it is heavier and bulkier than the standard Trangia, I used to use the 300ml Sigg fuel bottle and that just about fits inside, with the burner and pot handle. The 500ml (I think) Primus bottle is another bit of luggage, in addition to the stove. I took it out last weekend. Camping near the end of an airfield, we had strong winds the whole time. After having great difficult getting a fire lit, and a Lidl trangia being a little reluctant, my Primgia fired up with sickening ease and I didn't have to keep chasing the windshield across the site.

I'll take some proper measurements if anyone wants them.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Very nice idea.

Trangia does its own multifuel burner tho. But i like this idea, and well put together :)

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Typical!

I've not had to alter the Trangia base and I think it worked out as having the same burner to pot distance as the standard Omnifuel.

I'm still debating wether to cut a slot for the fuel hose. The rolled edge gives much of the strength and rigidity so cutting it looks like a bad move. However, as it is the base rests on the hose, so finding a little dip in the ground is sometimes required to get it stable. Any thoughts, people?

That adapter would have been so much simpler though!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Ben, you can buy the Nova adaptor from base-camp, give Mike a ring and ask for the generic adaptor as they are cheaper

http://base-camp.co.uk/Contactu.htm

I've mounted Omnifuels, Nova's, MSRs and the eBay cheapo multifuel in Trangia and Lidl clones, and you should get faster boil times than a Jetboil easy; its worth drilling the hole in the side, won't affect the base. Here is the standard adaptor, easy to fit and you can remove it easily as well to get your stove back

DSCF3906640x480.jpg

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Trangia have there own version out now my dad just bought one £85 ish . looks good to I'll let you know if its ant good . I wish i could have adapted my MSR to fit a trangia the wind shield is the only fault with the MSR .
i wonder why its took so long for trangia to come up with a multi fuel conversion ?
Regards the fuel line is it possible to make a hole and thred it through. I couldn't do it with the MSR as the fuel line is solid .

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Would really like to know if the proper one is any good.

Not going to buy it because really think they are taking the **** with that price but would be interesting.

The convertion I want to see is they talk about a gas primus being fitted instead, but no pictures.

Good job, by the way. :You_Rock_

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Would really like to know if the proper one is any good.

Not going to buy it because really think they are taking the **** with that price but would be interesting.

The convertion I want to see is they talk about a gas primus being fitted instead, but no pictures.

Good job, by the way. :You_Rock_

Nice conversion, i did similar with an alpine gas stove and modded my trangia so that the gas pipe and burner go through the base then out through a hole i drilled/filed for the gas bottle and tap etc.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
rangia has had their wn gas-burner and multifuel burner for years. It ain't a new thing. Ive been wanting to get the multifuelburner for many many years, but allways think about where to keep the fuel for it, and what if situations.
So i tend to stick with the meth-burner instead.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
rangia has had their wn gas-burner and multifuel burner for years. It ain't a new thing. Ive been wanting to get the multifuelburner for many many years, but allways think about where to keep the fuel for it, and what if situations.
So i tend to stick with the meth-burner instead.

They have had a gas burner since not long after they came out in the UK. Wish I had bought one straight away because they were a reasonable price.

For hiking etc, I prefer the meths burner, but a gas system would be so useful for normal camping. Playing with naked flames around a tent is just asking for trouble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE