Trangia Army stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Anyone used them as a woodburner? I've got several of them - both Alu and SS - and use them on bike rallies etc in all weathers with the meths burner. But having got one of the Swiss volcano woodburner thingies, and having a play with that, thought that the Trangia Army windshield might be able to do a similar thing.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Judging by the deathly silence, I'm guessing not many have tried! So I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I used a stainless SA Trangia kit (although the windshield part is aluminium), cheated using some alcohol gel to start it. Using bits of dry wood scattered around the garden and it worked like a dream. Two mugs of water - circa 450ml or a pint. Took about 10 minutes to a rolling boil, not helped by me not noticing it went out half-way through! Would probably be quicker with the aluminium pans. Used a fair bit more wood than the Swiss army volcano, but pretty good nevertheless. Easy to stoke with bits of wood through the front hole - or even at the sides. Not as quick as with the meths burner, but useful nevertheless if you're running low on meths, or just want a nice fire!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
tend to use a stove when you cant have a fire to avoid ground burn using the army trangia in this manner would raze the ground so may as well have open fire, the volcano ones and any other hobo / woodburner are sealed from the ground (except for heat). I suppose it could be done on rocks or sand to contain the fire and provide a handy mess kit over it like a windshield?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True. Or could use a metal plate to stand it on - when I was testing I used a pot plate lying around the place to avoid scorch-marks. But most of the woodburners with a bottom on tend to scorch the grass anyway - a couple of sheets of folded silver foil or a cheapo foil plate would provide similar protection I'm guessing.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
Yes i've tried using the alloy windshield as a small woodburner, placed on a flat stone.

Kept feeding it with peg sized battoned pieces of hardwood to boil a large pan of water it did the job well quite a fierce heat producing a rolling boil in no time.

Quite pleased thinking ahh this SAT can be multi use....BUT all the black finish was burnt off completely turned a luvely golden colour (heat resistant with burner yes not blast furnace woodburner proof!) and when burnt out & cooled i come to put it away but all the rigidity had gone it turned very soft & bendy.:eek:

I presume induction hardened when made and i reversed it so beware. :rolleyes:

All above probably doesnt apply to the SS versions and i suppose you could just swap the windshield for multi use.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yes i've tried using the alloy windshield as a small woodburner, placed on a flat stone.

Kept feeding it with peg sized battoned pieces of hardwood to boil a large pan of water it did the job well quite a fierce heat producing a rolling boil in no time.

Quite pleased thinking ahh this SAT can be multi use....BUT all the black finish was burnt off completely turned a luvely golden colour (heat resistant with burner yes not blast furnace woodburner proof!) and when burnt out & cooled i come to put it away but all the rigidity had gone it turned very soft & bendy.:eek:

I presume induction hardened when made and i reversed it so beware. :rolleyes:

All above probably doesnt apply to the SS versions and i suppose you could just swap the windshield for multi use.

Unfortunately the windshield on the SS version is also aluminium! Mine hasn't gone all soft and bendy yet (oo-err missus!) but worth knowing for (non)-future use as woodburner!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE