trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Plenty of control with a Trangia, use the simmer ring.

Yeahbut, it's a bit 'mickey mouse', isn't it!

I think the reason why people use Trangias is because they used them in the Scouts and D.of E. - so they must be good. They're the Nijer of cookers - crude, inefficient, heavy and about 50 years out of date!

Jim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yeahbut, it's a bit 'mickey mouse', isn't it!

I think the reason why people use Trangias is because they used them in the Scouts and D.of E. - so they must be good. They're the Nijer of cookers - crude, inefficient, heavy and about 50 years out of date!

Jim

So, what is 'in' date, and please don't say a Jet Boil:rolleyes: Two saucepans, wind shields, frying pan, kettle, efficient meths burner and all stacks into a small package. Overkill for those who live on noodles but perfect for those who want proper food.

I don't like the relience ofnopen fires anymore and decided this year to only use a communal fire, or perhaps a solo fire in the winter.

Bushcrafters use too many fires, leave too many earth scars no matter how well you clean up.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I voted for trangia, not bothered about the weight, got enough control with the simmer ring, always been able to fry stuff and it's nice having the pots, kettle, pans, burner and wind shield all in one.

Oh that and I love how cheap methanol is (heck of a lot cheaper then methylated spirits)

I have both, mostly use Trangia / S.A. Trangia, but also use a small gas stove on one day winter mountain walks etc.
I think as with so much about Bushcraft, it's not just a matter of what is best, but also what is most enjoyable to use. Gas stoves are almost a little too easy, or "domestic" feeling IMHO. Whereas there's something about cooking over the naked flame of a meths burner, that's more cosy or satisfying somehow. Sort of second best thing to an open fire (or Hobo).
(Sad Old Romantic!)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
So, what is 'in' date, and please don't say a Jet Boil.

The Jetboil seems overpriced and overweight. Probably fine for bushcrafters operating from their Winnebego!

For lightweight and practical camping I use a Coleman F1 Lite, a titanium kettle, mug and spoon. Camping from the boot of the car, I'll mostly use either a Russian R1 or Optimus 111T - both running on petroleum naptha. I sometimes bring out an Enders or an Army Number 12 cooker, both from the car boot. The Number 12 cooker is massively heavy and overengineered - it could probably take a direct hit from an RPG!

Jim

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I'm a Trangia fan. I have and use 25 and 27 versions with meths, gas, coleman fuel options. I also use T pans on my wood burning Honey stove (which incidentally accepts all the heating versions mentioned above).

I therefore have multiple alternatives for cooking depending on how (foot or canoe) and for how long I will be out and about.

I've never been a scout nor done the DoE award.

When using meths (which is kept in a small nalgene bottle - several brews or an aluminium fuel bottle for longer trips) I lift the pot or pan off the flame if it is too hot for the food I'm cooking.

Alan

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
What finally put me off gas stoves was the ever-growing cupboard-full of nearly empty cannisters. At least with a meths stove, I can easily tell how much fuel I've got in my bottle and I can estimate fairly accurately how long it will last me. If I'm only out for an overnighter, I don't need to carry a week's worth of fuel.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
The Jetboil seems overpriced and overweight. Probably fine for bushcrafters operating from their Winnebego!

For lightweight and practical camping I use a Coleman F1 Lite, a titanium kettle, mug and spoon.

The Jetboil gets up to twice the amount of effeciency compared to that setup.

For lightweight single user purposes, I would chose the caldera cone with a TI mug. The fully enclosed cooking area also improves upon the effeicency.

My Jetboil is the best personal cooker I have yet used for military purposes, where it need to be extremely effecient, reliable, and as fast as possible. Just brilliant.

The trangia is very nice for more luxrious outdoor cooking.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

For lightweight and practical camping I use a Coleman F1 Lite, a titanium kettle, mug and spoon. Camping from the boot of the car, I'll mostly use either a Russian R1 or Optimus 111T - both running on petroleum naptha. I sometimes bring out an Enders or an Army Number 12 cooker, both from the car boot. The Number 12 cooker is massively heavy and overengineered - it could probably take a direct hit from an RPG!

Jim

The 12's are very good, I have a couple, the 111T is probably my all time favorite cooker though and I have an embarrassing amount of them:eek: Those little Russian R8's are pretty good saw some on eBay recently for about 25 euro's, all of course heavier that a Trangia setup;)

This is the standard 111 kerosene only model, much favoured by my norgie stove collector mates for winter use

DSCF4182640x480.jpg

Here is a 12 next to a British Army No7, the pans are stainless steel and are often matched with the No2 army stove

DSCF4131640x480.jpg

If you are camping from the car this is a dandy setup I put together this year

DSCF4118640x480.jpg

Trangia clone on steroids, with a 111T burner fitted

DSCF3191.jpg

This is an old 50's/early 60's Trangia type setup, not as efficient, but nice and I love the kettle on it

DSCF3170.jpg

This is a cheap Chinese burner mounted in a Trangia clone, throws out some good heat too

DSCF2863.jpg

eBay item 260413589390 make him an offer, it will burn naptha, gas canisters and indeed paraffin

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Plenty of control with a Trangia, use the simmer ring:rolleyes:

It's digital. How is that control?

Poppycock. Jetboil all fits inside integrated cup (including gas cannister). Although I haven't weighed it alongside trangia and fuel, I suspect there's not a lot in it and I bet the Jetboil takes up less space.

I have used a Jetboil now for about 4 years and, pound for pound, it has been an excellent investment. It has been up mountains (>4000m), in the jungle in Africa and Central South America, swamps, the highlands, the deserts of the Near East and Central Asia and it has never - I say again - never let me down. I am usually watched in awe, admiration and jealousy by others, who fannying around with their various random stove designs, as I rapidly cook my meal, have a brew, wash up my one pot, and go to bed, before they've even got the first pan of water to boil. The only thing that comes close is an MSR XGK but that runs on different fuel system altogether.

I have the pan support, the flux ring frying pan if required, and a hanging kit which keeps it all off the ground.

I'm not telling anyone to go out out and buy one - it's up to you. But, if you want something that is extremely good at doing what it does, there is little better on the market.

Dear Jetboil, please can I have a job? :D

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The Jetboil gets up to twice the amount of effeciency compared to that setup.

But the great lump of a thing weighs 425g! Probably O.K. if there's more than one of you, and you can get your mate to carry it!

If I'm backpacking for a few days, I'm more interested in lightness and compactness. If a 250g gas canister lasts that long, it's enough!

Jim

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
But the great lump of a thing weighs 425g! Probably O.K. if there's more than one of you, and you can get your mate to carry it!

If I'm backpacking for a few days, I'm more interested in lightness and compactness. If a 250g gas canister lasts that long, it's enough!

Jim

Mine weights 509g excluding the gas canister.

Thats including the burner, pot, windshield, pot cosy, lid, igniter, heat exchanger and cup.

Easiest and most effecient system I have tried to date.

For lightweight purpose, I wouldnt look at gas anyway.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ha the never ending Debate on the Trangia and also the Jetboil.

I've used the Trangia a lot and the Jet Boil a fair amount as well.

In my mind Trangia Down sides are:

It uses a lot of fuel on a prelonged trip (which you have to carry).
It takes forever to melt snow with (not such a problem for bushcrafters)
It takes a while to get going in really cold conditions.

Up sides:

It's quiet in use.
Very stable
The kettle on the 27 is a design masterpiece.
It's not too heavy to lug around in the bergen if you share a 27 between 2 people

To my mind if you chuck another style of burner into a trangia windshield like the KAP Arctic ( gas / multifuel) then you aint got a trangia it's a Gas / multifuel stove with a windshield.

The problem of Trangia's leaking fuel and being difficult to simmer/ control the flame are easily sorted out by getting to know how to use the stove correctly. The more you cook with it the more you learn its foibles.

The Jet boil PCS gets a lot of knocks on various forums as it's now so mainstream and sucessful I guess. I was a bit sceptical about it at first but it's actually a really good stove and a IMHO the PCS is a future design masterpiece. It's certianly had a major impact on Stove manufacturers the world over. If you are wanting hot drinks or reheating meals in retort pouches (army rations / wayfarer / Watties pasta 'n' sauce) or Dehydrated meals then it works really well and is very efficient in use of fuel. It melts snow reasonably well ( as long as you dont overstuff the cup with snow) and operates well in cold high conditions. Fits in a PLCE or Vulcan side pouch with heaps of room to spare and a small gas canister lasts easily for a week if you keep the stove out of the wind and are careful to only boil as much water as you need. Plus the cup on the PCS means you can ditch your mug if you're going lightweight.

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE